Marbled Cray Mass Production

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
and to people who have nothing to say but needles opinions on what they think dont post if you dont have an answer

needless opinions? do you know anything about crayfish? I did have an answer. DONT!

yes but he did not ask if you think he should keep them , he asked if his tank was sutable so pretty much a needless opinion

ps to op those tunnels look very cool and im sure they would love some

it is inescapable that the Question "should" they be kept. comes up when breeding such dangerous and "unnatural" creatures.
again what experiance of Crayfish do you have?

well i had to own a red claw blue crayfish in a ten litre tank (because of smashed tanks) which you said youd take off my hands and said you could meet halfway then never replied again so had to put him under more stress waiting for you to reply and in the end he had to go to a lfs.

and that was months ago

so not much but if there as bad as you say they are they will probably already be in the wild and there will be millions of them and waterchanges wont effect anything and any way hes said hell be carefull
so trust them

sorry to hijack the evil duboisi

Geez, what if I change the question?

How about keeping red crayfish(P.clarkii) or those pretty zebra(Lorenzi?) crayfish under the conditions I offered? Got anything to say about that?
not really. one breeding female, per tank. as the fry drop off the female, they should be removed to separate tanks. as for hides? lots of small hides, placed on the bottom of the tank. as the crays grow, they should again be separated. both the cray you mention are "temperate". so temps should be around, 60-70F. as with marbles, water should be sterilised before it is thrown away. whilst the "stack of tubes" will be excellent for african lake fish, but will be no use for cray. (they will all collect in the lowest, ignoring the ones above).
both light and water temp, affect IF cray will breed. but providing the water is o2 rich, and well filtered, nothing more needs done for the fry. its best to have a bare bottom tank too, as food can get caught in the substrate. this gives problems, as cray are prone to bacterial infections.

and to people who have nothing to say but needles opinions on what they think dont post if you dont have an answer

needless opinions? do you know anything about crayfish? I did have an answer. DONT!

yes but he did not ask if you think he should keep them , he asked if his tank was sutable so pretty much a needless opinion

ps to op those tunnels look very cool and im sure they would love some

it is inescapable that the Question "should" they be kept. comes up when breeding such dangerous and "unnatural" creatures.
again what experiance of Crayfish do you have?

well i had to own a red claw blue crayfish in a ten litre tank (because of smashed tanks) which you said youd take off my hands and said you could meet halfway then never replied again so had to put him under more stress waiting for you to reply and in the end he had to go to a lfs.

and that was months ago

so not much but if there as bad as you say they are they will probably already be in the wild and there will be millions of them and waterchanges wont effect anything and any way hes said hell be carefull
so trust them

sorry to hijack the evil duboisi

ahh yes, i remember. sadly i have other things than aquarium critters to deal with. so what do I do? its true i totally forgot, until now! trips to hospital (just checked the date of your PM's) tend to do that!

one of the reasons there are not "millions" around is, virtually all REAL cray breeders and stockists, feel just as i do "boil the trash". as i said, the breeders who imported the Signal, said they would be careful. and look what happened! they were proffesional breeders, who, actually, knew what they were doing too. the water from any North American cray should be treated, just because the plague is "out there", does not mean we have cart blanc to add to it! sorry but its common sense, if you have a pathogen, its at best, ignorant, to assume you have the right to pass it on.

This is really getting out of hand.

boboboy, you seem to be a very experienced fish keeper, yet I can't understand why you are taking this so personally and using language that makes others uncomfortable.

Geez, since you're so persistant, I think i'll pass them on....thanks for the info

boboboy, you seem to be a very experienced fish keeper, yet I can't understand why you are taking this so personally and using language that makes others uncomfortable.

Geez, since you're so persistant, I think i'll pass them on....thanks for the info

sorry guy. if you lived in a country that had had its indigenous cray, virtually, wiped out by imported crayfish (and they were natural). is it surprising that i should be so against a HUMAN made HYBRID crayfish, and those who wish to breed them for sale?

as i said, $$$$$$$$$$$,for those who breed them. it takes no skill or knowledge to breed them. and more often than not, those who breed them, couldn't give a toss about the, potential, damage they can do. if they did, they would never start in the first place.

taking it personally? i sure do. why should my hobby be destroyed by the greed of those who breed them? even worse, why should i sit by and allow this trash, destroy, what remains of the planets indigenous crayfish? North American cray have devastated much of the words cray (via crayfish plague). there is no reason to allow a HUMAN construct, to finish the job off.

I'd like to point out that, from the research I've done the origin of these crayfish is unknown and there is no evidence that they are either hybrids or human made. While your opinions may be valid boboboy it would be better if you verified the accuracy of your information.

I'd like to point out that, from the research I've done the origin of these crayfish is unknown and there is no evidence that they are either hybrids or human made. While your opinions may be valid boboboy it would be better if you verified the accuracy of your information.

A crayfish, first descovered in a German fish tank, with no wild populations? whilst Parthenogenesis, is not unknown in arthropods. the method used by the Marble, follows, in no way, the "natural" forms. it reproduces, rapidly, (something, unknown in a natural arthropod).

My information is, as accurate as it can get. how or who, ever did the breeding, will never be known (unless they own up). science can
not "confirm" human intervention. however, like it or not. the fact the Marble is a Man made organism, is well known in the trade.

So, we have a crayfish, with no wild populations, until after it appeared in the trade. now this in itself, indicates something "unnatural" (this cray would have a massive range, as it wipes out all comers as we see in Madagascar) any wild populations, would have been well noted. indeed its discovery, in the wild, would have caused a fuss. and without doubt, been on the front page of PFK and its like world wide.
this crayfish, is asexual, not unknown. but the method it uses, and the speed which it does it. have never been known before.

if it was "created in a Petri dish, or by mating, "deviant" cray, nobody, except the group who did it knows. but with no wild populations, and sciences "inability (even with dna) to define it parentage. its a long shot to say its "natural. but a, large fast growing, fast breeding, asexual, crayfish. fits the bill for a "profitable" food cray. unfortunately, i am informed, their taste is not so good. as a result they, probably, ended up in the aquarium trade.
science does say they are a hybrid, what it cant say is of what, well exactly anyway.

sorry guy. if you lived in a country that had had its indigenous cray, virtually, wiped out by imported crayfish (and they were natural). is it surprising that i should be so against a HUMAN made HYBRID crayfish, and those who wish to breed them for sale?

as i said, $$$$$$$$$$$,for those who breed them. it takes no skill or knowledge to breed them. and more often than not, those who breed them, couldn't give a toss about the, potential, damage they can do. if they did, they would never start in the first place.

taking it personally? i sure do. why should my hobby be destroyed by the greed of those who breed them? even worse, why should i sit by and allow this trash, destroy, what remains of the planets indigenous crayfish? North American cray have devastated much of the words cray (via crayfish plague). there is no reason to allow a HUMAN construct, to finish the job off.

this guy knows nothing they are the most peaceful crays out there no cannibalism at all

this guy knows nothing they are the most peaceful crays out there no cannibalism at all

you gotta be kidding right??

in my early days i was given a group of these, thought they were fab until i realised what they were, my plan was to keep them in my pond but dare not let them outside incase they get into the local water. but the soft side of me will not kill them either. luckily i am down to one after the biggest killed off and ate the rest. this one only reproduces once or twice a year thank god and eats all the young as soon as they drop. am hoping it doesnt live many more years...

in my early days i was given a group of these, thought they were fab until i realised what they were, my plan was to keep them in my pond but dare not let them outside incase they get into the local water. but the soft side of me will not kill them either. luckily i am down to one after the biggest killed off and ate the rest. this one only reproduces once or twice a year thank god and eats all the young as soon as they drop. am hoping it doesnt live many more years...

then your kepping them in to smalll of a tank

boboboy, why are you trying to ruin someones thread with your own opinions? Ever hear the phrase "keep your mouth shut and your mind open"? In other words, you can think whatever you want, just don't say it.

Sounds like your not feeding them well enough.

boboboy, why are you trying to ruin someones thread with your own opinions? Ever hear the phrase "keep your mouth shut and your mind open"? In other words, you can think whatever you want, just don't say it.

as i said, $$$$$$,for those who breed them. it takes no skill or knowledge to breed them. and more often than not, those who breed them, couldn't give a toss about the, potential, damage they can do. if they did, they would never start in the first place.

Sounds like your not feeding them well enough.

Yawn! oh, i'm sorry. did you say something? no point, thinking something, on an internet forum!

it matters little how big the tank or how much you feed. they will eat each other. Cannibalism is, at least, something ALL the research agrees on.

boboboy...this is an old thread, so why don't you shutup. Just a suggestion. You just keep repeating yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back