The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_evil_duboisi

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I know, and appreciate the amazing abilities of reproduction of these beautiful crayfish. But if I were to breed them crazily(Getting as many as possible), could this kind of setup be suitable?

Flat, low tank(One with a wide bottom area)
Several filters that deliver lots of water current, also filter the water(They're filters:p)
Lots of PVC pipe, scattered or stacked
Cured barnacles or holey rock(For the babies to hide in)
Either some anacharis and/or java moss(Floating so they don't eat ALL of it)
No bottom material(For easy cleaning

Plus several marbled crayfish

(This tank would not be for decoration, as only the bare ingredients are included. If I were to make it look more natural, I could use sand on the bottom, and rocks stacked/scattered. Though gee, after writing this, I think it would be better.... :blush: )

Oh, and one final question: What age do you think these gals breed, especially after birth? Mine started breeding after I started to ignore them, my estimate is about 6 months. But after that they would breed continuously, having another batch almost as soon as they dropped their first!

6 months from dropped out to having babies of their own, "cray apartments" would be a good idea just pvc pipes stacked up and glued togeth to make lots of caves as all crays like a bit of privacy and it would be more effective to stack them to keep large amount of floor space. How big is the planned tank? A canister external filter would be more effective then lots of internals and you could use a powerheard to create current.

Tank size is 90cm x 60cm(Floor space) x about 45cm. I'm guessing roughly around 45 gallons.

Yeah.....perhaps external filters are better....But they are a bit expensive :blush:

Yup....So you agree that they breed at around six months....Then how long do you think is a typical "berry cycle"(From getting eggs to letting the babies go free)? And how many times to do think they breed after that? My first one had one batch every month for 4 batches....Then she just died! My second had 5 batches(Don't remember the cooldown)...But didn't die until much later.

I know, and appreciate the amazing abilities of reproduction of these beautiful crayfish. But if I were to breed them crazily(Getting as many as possible), could this kind of setup be suitable?

Flat, low tank(One with a wide bottom area)
Several filters that deliver lots of water current, also filter the water(They're filters:p)
Lots of PVC pipe, scattered or stacked
Cured barnacles or holey rock(For the babies to hide in)
Either some anacharis and/or java moss(Floating so they don't eat ALL of it)
No bottom material(For easy cleaning

Plus several marbled crayfish

(This tank would not be for decoration, as only the bare ingredients are included. If I were to make it look more natural, I could use sand on the bottom, and rocks stacked/scattered. Though gee, after writing this, I think it would be better.... :blush: )

Oh, and one final question: What age do you think these gals breed, especially after birth? Mine started breeding after I started to ignore them, my estimate is about 6 months. But after that they would breed continuously, having another batch almost as soon as they dropped their first!

Beautiful Crayfish?
this cray is a plague carrying, Frankenstein! and has no right to, even exist, never mind be bred in numbers. an a sexual, abomination, bred for food, and greed. in the UK, it is illegal, and quite right too.
as for the best way to keep them? in boiling water! same goes for those who keep and breed them. if ever there was an argument on licensing, this makes it best.

Whoa! Slow down. This was not what this post was originally about. I was just asking questions, not debating ethical opinions.

Whoa! Slow down. This was not what this post was originally about. I was just asking questions, not debating ethical opinions.
nothing ethical about it. perhaps you would understand that if you did a little research.

the Marble is an genetic abomination. and, possibly, the most dangerous Cray out there.
your post was titled, "Marble Cray mass production", so there is no mistake, our misunderstanding on my part.

where possible, this Cray should be destroyed, and all equipment needs sterilised. same goes for any water, from water changes. if you, personally, have problems understanding, why, Marbles are so dangerous. i would suggest you are not the right person to keep crayfish, in the first place.
c'mon, a cray with asexual reproduction, that, carries a deadly plague ( which has already devastated the indigenous cray in the UK, and many other parts of the world) that with every water change, introduces more and more spores, to the ecosystem, and has no natural predictors. don't see the problem? re read the, previous paragraph.

wow these are stunning (just googled)
absolutely amazing
and to people who have nothing to say but needles opinions on what they think dont post if you dont have an answer

I certainly don't believe you should be boiled alive for being interested in Marbeled Cray, I do believe you should be aware of the possible threat of owning them. I'm adding a couple of links that include some of the breeding information you are interested in as well as some about the threat this species carries for native cray. :good:

UK, it is indeed illegal to own non-native cray species.
[URL="http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=1298"]http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...m.php?news=1298[/URL]

US, this link has some more information on the cray as well as listing what states it is legal/illegal to own. You should check with your local Wildlife or Fish & Game department to make sure.
[URL="http://marmorkrebs.org/crayfish_laws.html"]http://marmorkrebs.org/crayfish_laws.html[/URL]

Yup, amazing. And I'm fully aware of this species being possibly invading and dangerous. I'm careful with that.

Also, thanks for the advice. Do you think this is enough for making "crayfish baracks"?

DSCF4595.jpg

31 in total. I could satck them up by 3 2 1(Bottom to top) or 4 3 2 1, or 28. like in the picture. :lol:

31 in total. I could satck them up by 3 2 1(Bottom to top) or 4 3 2 1, or 28. like in the picture. :lol:

I don't know, I think I like the big stack. :lol:

I'd be inclined to go with the 4 3 2 1 so you can maximize floor space. Not sure if my advice counts for much on that since I've never kept cray. :huh:

In that case, I can have three stacks(Each shatck is 10, I have 31 in totoal) and still some space for other things. Thanks again! :)

and to people who have nothing to say but needles opinions on what they think dont post if you dont have an answer
needless opinions? do you know anything about crayfish? I did have an answer. DONT!

And I'm fully aware of this species being possibly invading and dangerous. I'm careful with that.
yep, thats what the breeders said about the Red Signal. now much of the world has lost its native cray, and habitat. very careful, i must say! so you would be better that others before? the ignorance to consider breeding such a creature, shows you should not have the option.
your options for breeding, show your lack of knowledge. marbles need removed from each other after only days (Marbles are very cannibalistic). even worse,they are not tropical. keeping them over 70F will just cause an increase in the amount of plague spores. and, hopefully, an increase in bacteria, leading to the death of the trash.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, who cares if its dangerous? $'s can be made so thats OK. greed and ignorance!

needless opinions? do you know anything about crayfish? I did have an answer. DONT!

yes but he did not ask if you think he should keep them , he asked if his tank was sutable so pretty much a needless opinion

ps to op those tunnels look very cool and im sure they would love some

yes but he did not ask if you think he should keep them , he asked if his tank was sutable so pretty much a needless opinion

ps to op those tunnels look very cool and im sure they would love some

it is inescapable that the Question "should" they be kept. comes up when breeding such dangerous and "unnatural" creatures.
again what experiance of Crayfish do you have?

Geez, what if I change the question?

How about keeping red crayfish(P.clarkii) or those pretty zebra(Lorenzi?) crayfish under the conditions I offered? Got anything to say about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back