Male Platy Not Interested In Breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

orangefish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have 2 male platys and 2 female platys, which I've had from large fry/juveniles. I would guess the 2 females and 1 male are around 6 months old (both females are pregnant and 1 had given birth before). This male chases my females all day, and I presume it is him that is impregnating my females. I have realised that I am not going to be able to keep up with the fry and don't want them to be eaten so have decided I will have to get rid of him. However, there is another male platy that I would guess is about 4 months old who doesn't seem to be interested in the females at all. I am reluctant to get rid of him too if he is not breeding and he's really sweet because he's the underdog in my tank :L
Is it likely that he will breed in the future, or will he just never be interested in the females? Thanks

I have 2 male platys and 2 female platys, which I've had from large fry/juveniles. I would guess the 2 females and 1 male are around 6 months old (both females are pregnant and 1 had given birth before). This male chases my females all day, and I presume it is him that is impregnating my females. I have realised that I am not going to be able to keep up with the fry and don't want them to be eaten so have decided I will have to get rid of him. However, there is another male platy that I would guess is about 4 months old who doesn't seem to be interested in the females at all. I am reluctant to get rid of him too if he is not breeding and he's really sweet because he's the underdog in my tank :L
Is it likely that he will breed in the future, or will he just never be interested in the females? Thanks

maybe hes homosexual :lol:

Haha, wouldn't suprise me!

Anyone got any advice/suggestions? Thanks

Give the young one a little time to grow up and mature Orangefish. At 4 months old it would be a bit unusual if he were mating successfully.

Give the young one a little time to grow up and mature Orangefish. At 4 months old it would be a bit unusual if he were mating successfully.

Oh dear, that's a shame :/ I rambled on a bit in my first post and think I wasn't very clear with what I was saying :L Basically, I don't want them to breed so I may have to get rid of him :( Thanks for the info though- I kind of thought that but didn't want to hear it!

Even by removing the males you could be getting fry for the next 6 months or so as they can store sperm that long.

The smaller male would soon become fully mature and breeding if you removed the larger male, as he's suppressing the smaller one.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back