Male Fish, More A Pain Than Anything Else?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

monto

Reaction score
hi i have about 11 fish in my tank

a mix of some tetras, mollies, guppys, catfish

i have one guppy in there, male (there were a few more but they died) he does that thing where he always is trying to swim under the other fish (er, females i think) and i know it's normal behaviour but he seems to do it all day long. he does it to the mollies (can guppys and mollies even mate???)

i dunno im wondering if the other fish think he is a right pain

anyway i might get rid of him or do u think he is not a pain to the other fish and they enjoy being chased around?

some of them hide from him to be honest.....

is a tank of females only a bad idea and would they just end up bored and apathetic? (haha ok ok so fish dont have emotions, i know i know)

ok im holding my net, his fate is in your hands :shifty:

hi i have about 11 fish in my tank

a mix of some tetras, mollies, guppys, catfish

i have one guppy in there, male (there were a few more but they died) he does that thing where he always is trying to swim under the other fish (er, females i think) and i know it's normal behaviour but he seems to do it all day long. he does it to the mollies (can guppys and mollies even mate???)

i dunno im wondering if the other fish think he is a right pain

anyway i might get rid of him or do u think he is not a pain to the other fish and they enjoy being chased around?

some of them hide from him to be honest.....

is a tank of females only a bad idea and would they just end up bored and apathetic? (haha ok ok so fish dont have emotions, i know i know)

ok im holding my net, his fate is in your hands :shifty:

Bless him, he sounds pretty frisky! I have a young male guppy & he is exactly the same, he is trying to mate with everything, male or female, guppy or molly! ( or filter :rolleyes: )I hope its just a phase!

I'm far from an expert & pretty new to guppies & mollies, so I cant say whether you would be ok with just females, but i'm sure someone much wiser will come along soon.

Make sure you have lots of plants & hiding places so that the other fish can hide from any unwanted attention.

normal behaviour i would not worry, hmm nelly dream's of being in a room of female's :drool: :unsure: sorry back to story....

not letting you near my tank you would evict everything in there :crazy: idea for new big brother programme :shifty:

yep i do admit im a bit of an army major when it comes to proper protocol in my tank. i will simply not tolerate any messing about in there ^_^

i did have a couple of eel snakey things too, but they both escaped to 'the other dimension'*

* bedroom floor

males are a pain in the backside! (not just fish but thats another story!)

my male platties kept harrassing one of my poor female platys so much she was terrified to move. she'd be hiding somewhere, then theyd find her and chase her again, and it was horrible to watch. iv now separated my boys, and theyre going to have to remain celibate :D (unless they turn gay lol)

as said it is normal behaviour for most male livebearers, that is why it is highly recommended to have 2-3 females for each male, to spread out his feistiness.

And yes Mollies and Guppies can mate and produce offspring although they are very week and don't survive long

my single young male guppy likes to chase the female adult platies its normal

Livebearers are the rabbits of the wet world for a reason.

I'd say that for livebearers, all males are generally better. Females are almost always "pregnant" when you get them and can keep on having offspring from the original encounter with a male.

Balloon Moppy anyone?

gully.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back