Making my own root tabs, figuring out how much of what I need to buy.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Was the Seachem Equilibrium risky for your fish because if the increase in GH? I planned to use this to increase the GH in my axolotl tank as they need a higher GH than my water is and I am looking for a way to make it more suitable (aiming for around 8 GH, compared to the 4-5 mine is right now)

I happened to be having an issue with one (of 8 then) tanks, and consulted my online marine biologist friend (we were both members of another forum at that time). She obviously asked many questions in order to assess the issue, and when it came to Equilibrium she asked me point blank if I really though this beneficial to the soft water fish I had? I couldn't truthfully say yes, so she said, then why are you subjecting the fish to all this stuff? I have never used it since. And the tabs did the job re the plants so even better.

I know next to nothing about axolotl physiology so I will not guess as to whether substances in the water would have more or less detriment than with fish. However, if you want to increase the GH for the axolotl (or fish), Equilibrium is not the answer as it is made for plants and according to Seachem not as good if GH is needed for livestock. They make another product intended for livestock, can't remember the name off hand. There are other products too, like rift lake cichlid salts, that add the necessary minerals to increase GH for fish. Limit the amount you use, and I assume you can work out how much is needed for 8 dH, and for each water change. A calcareous sand substrate would also increase GH (nd KH and pH) but that is not controlled so better if it can be as hard as it gets. I used this for my mollies many years ago.

I happened to be having an issue with one (of 8 then) tanks, and consulted my online marine biologist friend (we were both members of another forum at that time). She obviously asked many questions in order to assess the issue, and when it came to Equilibrium she asked me point blank if I really though this beneficial to the soft water fish I had? I couldn't truthfully say yes, so she said, then why are you subjecting the fish to all this stuff? I have never used it since. And the tabs did the job re the plants so even better.
That makes sense. How much had it been increasing the GH? Was it the raised GH or something with the Equilibrium itself that was causing problems?

I know next to nothing about axolotl physiology so I will not guess as to whether substances in the water would have more or less detriment than with fish. However, if you want to increase the GH for the axolotl (or fish), Equilibrium is not the answer as it is made for plants and according to Seachem not as good if GH is needed for livestock. They make another product intended for livestock, can't remember the name off hand. There are other products too, like rift lake cichlid salts, that add the necessary minerals to increase GH for fish. Limit the amount you use, and I assume you can work out how much is needed for 8 dH, and for each water change. A calcareous sand substrate would also increase GH (nd KH and pH) but that is not controlled so better if it can be as hard as it gets. I used this for my mollies many years ago.
I will look into the rift lake cichlids salt! Is that the brand or the product?

Ok I found this. Is this right?
81FCD383-B93E-48D5-AB99-B8BB7F5E600F.png

I

I am so pleased I learnt how to keep fish when all these choices weren't around. I just hope that if your fish start to get sick or die. The people who recommend all this stuff can then figure out how to make your fish better. I really don't know how anybody can afford this hobby when I look at the cost of all the additives, it just goes to show the hobby is for the rich.

No, they cannot.
The problem here is that by moving Corydoras from the southern hemisphere to the Northern Hemisphere their brains get mixed up and then they start eating sand. That is why in New Zealand we have no trouble keeping them on gravel, but you do. I am sorry but I have just found this out, after a lot of research.

Seachem Replenish.
So the Replenish is designed for fish and the equilibrium is designed for plants? That is very interesting. So if I am looking to raise my GH, I should do Replenish?

According to Seachem's website is it intended to replace the minerals that have been removed in RO and DI water.

Anything which can be used to remineralise RO water can also be used to add to soft water to increase the mineral content. It just needs less of the product to get to the target level than RO would since there are already some minerals present, just not enough.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back