Mac App Store

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kribensis12

I know where you live
Reaction score
So, I personally have been anticipating the Mac App Store (now to be reffered to as "MAS"). MAS is basically the iOS app store, for Macs. I love the idea. You do not have to worry about losing your favorite games disc, because you don't need it. It's online, and you can download it again if you get a new computer, or you break your old one ect. There is that as an advantage, then you have the price advantage. It's cheaper. You don't pay for shipping, or packaging, or the actual disc. For example, Aperture 3 sells for 200 dollars. To buy the digital version, it's 80 dollars. Obviously the 120 dollar difference isn't just packaging ect. , but it's to keep up with an already competitive market. It's also good for the environment, because you don't waste all of the packaging. It's also handy, you don't need to wait for it, or drive and get it (waste gas ect.), because it downloads immeadiately. Also, with Lion comming out soon (based off the iOS), this store will be an even better idea.

+1 for Apple.

What do you guys think?

im a little frustrated, because my itunes account is my email, which is aol, so i just use aol for itunes, but they dont have that option on mac apps.

Hmm. It's fledgling, so I assume Apple will get rid of the kinks after they get customer feedback.

I am very mixed in my feelings about these online content distributors versus getting a disk. What if you want to set up a computer without Internet access? Or can't? Or, what if Apple or Amazon or Steam goes out of business? I still love installing copies of my really old games like X-Com or Master of Magic or Civilization II and playing them. What if 20 years from now I want to play Civilization V again? If Steam doesn't still exist, the disc will not install. And I think that that is pretty dumb.

Here's another situation: sometimes patches to programs will break the software on your computer. That's where it is nice to be able to go back to your disc with an old version and reinstall that. The digital version will naturally only be the latest version.

I can see the flip side, too. Lost or scratched discs aren't worth anything. You should be able to transfer the license from one computer to another easily. You get all the latest patches to close up vulnerabilities or other problems quicker. Etc.

But I think that it isn't perfect, and I personally am always going to want my own copies of programs on my computer. I haven't bought into the "cloud" as the obvious next generation of computers yet.

What if 20 years from now I want to play Civilization V again? If Steam doesn't still exist, the disc will not install. And I think that that is pretty dumb.

This, however I have about 20 games invested on steam and you've now made me reconsider my actions!

However it is relatively simple to play the game if you have it, for the likes of steam you need steam loaded to play it... however there are ways that you don't. Although if you haven't downloaded the game you can't do either.

I guess this is also why steam generally sells games are rock bottom prices.

You do realise you're legally protected, if steam or something similar went down you'd still be given some sort of access to your purchases.

You do realise you're legally protected, if steam or something similar went down you'd still be given some sort of access to your purchases.

And, how much would it cost a lawyer to sue a company that's been out of business for 15 years? I mean, there are rights, and then there are rights. I may have a right to something, but that doesn't mean it would be worth anything near what it would cost to get it.

If anything, this probably would breed a class action lawsuit wherein the lawyers get $78 billion to divide among themselves and each consumer gets 6.2 cents -- in store credit probably too!

I've actually been on the receiving end of this kind of nonsense. I have an HP printer and I got lumped into a class action lawsuit about HP's "low on ink" messages the printer sends. My share of the damages? A $1 credit to HP's store. Yay (he says sarcastically).

Sorry if I sound too cynical about this, but in the end, the company has gotten what they wanted, cash. And chances are they haven't set aside a war fund to ensure that if the company is going under they have something set up for all of us that have downloaded software. If a company goes bankrupt, you can't get blood from a turnip. If there is no money, how can you force a company to do something? Make the former CEO sit at his personal PC and burn discs one by one?

And, how much would it cost a lawyer to sue a company that's been out of business for 15 years? I mean, there are rights, and then there are rights. I may have a right to something, but that doesn't mean it would be worth anything near what it would cost to get it.

If anything, this probably would breed a class action lawsuit wherein the lawyers get $78 billion to divide among themselves and each consumer gets 6.2 cents -- in store credit probably too!

I've actually been on the receiving end of this kind of nonsense. I have an HP printer and I got lumped into a class action lawsuit about HP's "low on ink" messages the printer sends. My share of the damages? A $1 credit to HP's store. Yay (he says sarcastically).

Sorry if I sound too cynical about this, but in the end, the company has gotten what they wanted, cash. And chances are they haven't set aside a war fund to ensure that if the company is going under they have something set up for all of us that have downloaded software. If a company goes bankrupt, you can't get blood from a turnip. If there is no money, how can you force a company to do something? Make the former CEO sit at his personal PC and burn discs one by one?

I'm with Bignose there's not much you can do if Steam did close shop. I'm also pretty sure in the terms of agreement there is something to do with their service going offline.

Though I imagine if they ever did intend to close shop they would release quick no steam patches.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back