Luke's Planted Tank Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Luke_e

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm thinking of using my spare tank as a planted tank, might end up being an experiment to start with, but if it picks up it might turn into a fully functioning planted tank.
One problem, its a tall tank, and is 35cm high. Currently the light is a 10w 'bulb', it isnt a normal tube like light that are usually in longer tanks. The volume is approx 6 US gallon, which = 1.6wpg.
I've read, and remember from gcse physics that light doesnt penatrate through deep water very well, so would this mean i'd a) need to scrab the bulb and fix a small flouresant tube, or two/three. or B) Not bother trying?

If a) how would i go about adding some flourensant tubes? In my rio 125 there is already some fixtures for the bulbs to fit into, would i have to buy some of these, but on a smaller size?

I'd also have a DIY c02 set up also to help.

Thanks in advance.

Btw, i dont know my KH/GH (which ever is used in working out c02 ppm) as bloody pets@home (closest place to me) didnt have any test kits.
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?...310efd5f22c4f46
Is the above all thats needed to get a C02 set up going?

Anyone?
If it wont work due to the height, i have my eyes on an Hagen Elite 3 tank, 19l. There is a separate light available for it which i would buy.
Where would i get the end connectors for flouresant tubes?

It's about 13-14" inches tall. My tank is 18" about 46cm and I can grow pretty much anything with the 3.7 WPG I have. It could work if you kept the planting simple, like anubias, crypts, java fern, and some very tough stem plants. DIY would help a little. Build the hard scape up if you like and attach more light hungry species to that.

Is the bulb you have a regular incadescent? If so, I really recommend a compact florescent for you situation. Do you have a picture of the tank? I can help you more if I knew what I was looking at.

Thank you for the reply lljdma.
Can i ask what you mean by 'build the hard scape up'?
Not sure if the like is incadescent here are some pics of the tank and bulb

Oh, and i'll be scrapping the current plants and starting new.

You won`t have any problems with depth providing you upgrade your lighting i would have thought. I`m new to this planted tank business but i know you have seen some of my tank pics and hopefully you could see i have a huge variety of plants and they are all growing well.

I can`t see from the pics what your tank hood looks like underneith and due to the shape may be a little difficult to add extra lighting. One option is to have it open topped and DIY some sort of a rack to hold 2 flurecent tubes on like sam has done on his nano:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=131380&hl=nano

This is what i also plan to do on my nano tank. It may be easier than installing into the hood but then again if the hood hollow should be easy to drill into and attach a couple of 10 or 15W flurecent tubes. With that and your CO2 (and yes that nutrafin system in your link is fine for what you want) the plants should do great!

I have failed to mention my tank is also very tall for the size, 15inch.

Chris

BTW you need the KH test (which normally comes with GH) and pH to test CO2 levels.

and if u get the nutrafin system, have a search, there are a few better DIY mixes than the ones that come with the nutrafin system!

Thank you for the reply Craynerd.
The hood, i would say is around 2" deep, awkward shape.
I suppose i could leave it open top for the time being, i could give a DIY over head lighting fixture, but i'm not skilled when it comes to that sort of stuff hehe. But then again if i have room in the hood to fit the tubes it would be more practical.
If i got the tubes, how would i power them? As wouldnt i need the end bits which connect to the tubes on lighting units?

Yea, light starter motors...i would try and fit 2 tubes to give more light so in that case get a (dont what to call them officially!) a double starter motor, rather than 2 singles.

I think my 15W lights are 18inch long...how long is the widest place in the hood?

Chris

Thank you for the reply lljdma.
Can i ask what you mean by 'build the hard scape up'?

Glad you've made this a journal, that was going to be my next suggestion. You arrange the hardscape (rocks, wood, etc) in a pile that's higher than the gravel. Then you can mount your higher demand plants on the hardscape. But I don't think this is going to be an issue if you upgrade your lighting, which you seem to headed in that direction. I am no expert in hardware and DIY, but there are others here with a great deal of skill in that area and would be glad to help you.

Cheers lljdma. I'll wait for some replys on how i go about upgrading my lighting. As the tubes i've been looking at are fairly small, but i wouldnt know where to get the end fixtures from.
The link i've posted above seems to be a lixting fixture, but not for the 'normal' lights.
Anyone help?

Sorry to keep posting like this, but i'd be greatful if anyone could advise. -_-

Don't worry, somebody will help you. Sorry I can't help more, but I'm very lazy and stick to common tank shapes where I can just find a fixture that fits (well sort of, I used 24" fixtures on 20" tanks, no dark spots then) and I'm done with it. It looks alright to me if all you want is a controller. I'll offer this piece of advice, when you do actually get the bulb, aim for a color temperature of 6500k-6700K, this is optimum for growing plant and gives off a pretty light as well. Have you considered T5s as an alternative to T8s? They are more high output, last longer, and give a very nice light. On the flip side, they are more costly. I'm not from the UK, so I can't evaluate the website you posted for prices. I have no idea how much things cost up there! Do you have any other questions, besides lighting?

Sorry, I couldn't help more.

llj :)

Thanks for your reply Llj, much appreciated.
The thing is i dont actually know what i need. Is the control the power supply to the ends in which the tubes fit?
As for other questions, substrate is something i'm unsure of.
I currently have sand, but i've read about the proper plant substrate laterite? Or flourite (cant remember which).
Also, as for stocking, i'd probably just have a dwarf puffer, or a species shrimp tank so i would probably be able to do 20% every week or 25% every week and a half (i'll see the water results after a week and decide from there).
The reason i believe water changing after a week and a half - 2 week is probably better than weekly is because hopefully i'll be dosing ferts, but i have no knowledge on ferts.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back