Lowering my GH for Discus Breeding ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tonitetra

Reaction score
I have a 50 gallon tank with 4 discus in the tank. My levels are almost perfect. I have no ammonia or nitrite, low levels of nitrate (b/c there are plants in the tank), 0 KH, and 6.8 ph. However, my general hardness is super high. I have tried everything. I have peat moss media in my filter, and moss balls all over my tank. I treat my water for water changes with seachem prime. I live on long island so the water in my tap is medium hard, I haven't tested it but online it says anywhere between 17-50ppm for total hardness. I know that i should get a RO system, but they are super expensive and i would need one that connects to the faucet. If anyone have any suggest for a RO system like that please let me know. Anyway, the real reason i want my GH to be lower is because my discus are breeding. It is there first time breeding, and they have been laying eggs for about 3 months but every time they lay eggs they eat them 3 days later. It could be because they are new to breeding, but i read somewhere that they need really low GH to hatch. I am really looking for some ideas on how to lower my GH! Please let me know what you guys do. Thanks

I have a 50 gallon tank with 4 discus in the tank. My levels are almost perfect. I have no ammonia or nitrite, low levels of nitrate (b/c there are plants in the tank), 0 KH, and 6.8 ph. However, my general hardness is super high. I have tried everything. I have peat moss media in my filter, and moss balls all over my tank. I treat my water for water changes with seachem prime. I live on long island so the water in my tap is medium hard, I haven't tested it but online it says anywhere between 17-50ppm for total hardness. I know that i should get a RO system, but they are super expensive and i would need one that connects to the faucet. If anyone have any suggest for a RO system like that please let me know. Anyway, the real reason i want my GH to be lower is because my discus are breeding. It is there first time breeding, and they have been laying eggs for about 3 months but every time they lay eggs they eat them 3 days later. It could be because they are new to breeding, but i read somewhere that they need really low GH to hatch. I am really looking for some ideas on how to lower my GH! Please let me know what you guys do. Thanks
Peat moss only lowers pH momentarily until the KH brings it back up. The only safe way to do it is with RO water, unfortunately systems can be pricey. I have one for drinking water that works really well. I'll figure out the brand for you, it isn't super expensive and the filters only have to get replaced once every 6 months.

Peat moss only lowers pH momentarily until the KH brings it back up. The only safe way to do it is with RO water, unfortunately systems can be pricey. I have one for drinking water that works really well. I'll figure out the brand for you, it isn't super expensive and the filters only have to get replaced once every 6 months.
I have a filter for tap water under my sink, but it is not RO. I honestly do not know what it does, i think its like a brita filter type of thing. I use it for my water changes, but do you think i can put RO type filters in it ? I know im not speceific enough but any ideas?

I have a filter for tap water under my sink, but it is not RO. I honestly do not know what it does, i think its like a brita filter type of thing. I use it for my water changes, but do you think i can put RO type filters in it ? I know im not speceific enough but any ideas?
I don't know if that would work. Reverse Osmosis requires high pressure to push the water though a thin membrane that removes minerals that make your water hard. You probably will need a system.

I don't know if that would work. Reverse Osmosis requires high pressure to push the water though a thin membrane that removes minerals that make your water hard. You probably will need a system.
Yeah, that is what i thought. I just have to save up and get one. It will not only be beneficial for my fish but for me as well. Another question though, do you have a tank with you RO set up ? Like are they needed?

Peat will eventually bring your gh down. How big are the water changes you are doing. How long have you had the peat in the system.

Yeah, that is what i thought. I just have to save up and get one. It will not only be beneficial for my fish but for me as well. Another question though, do you have a tank with you RO set up ? Like are they needed?
I have a tank that gets RO water. If you mean why does water hardness matter, it has various impacts. The most obvious are that, if your water is too soft you will run into a lot of skin issues, however if it is too hard your fish will have mineral build up in their organs.

What is the GH of your tap water?

If the pH is 6.8, I would try and breed them in the water they are in. See what happens. Unless your dealing with wild caught discus, they will breed in water with a GH below 150ppm and regularly in water with a GH under 200ppm.

Peat will eventually bring your gh down. How big are the water changes you are doing. How long have you had the peat in the system.
I have had it there for about a month. I mean I did not put to much in because i read the reviews on it and it said that is drops the PH drastically if you put to much. I put about a tablespoon and a half in the media bag.

I have a tank that gets RO water. If you mean why does water hardness matter, it has various impacts. The most obvious are that, if your water is too soft you will run into a lot of skin issues, however if it is too hard your fish will have mineral build up in their organs.
No, I meant is the storage tank for the RO system required. I know that there is an option to buy a tank for the RO system.

What is the GH of your tap water?

If the pH is 6.8, I would try and breed them in the water they are in. See what happens. Unless your dealing with wild caught discus, they will breed in water with a GH below 150ppm and regularly in water with a GH under 200ppm.
They are not wild caught discus. I mean they are laying eggs they just wont stop eating them. I also do not know if they are even fertilizing them. its their first time so i dont know if they dont know what they are doing or the eggs are not hatching because of my water levels. I feel like i have to have the birds and the bees talk with them lmao

Discus are funny things. If they are laying don't change a thing, they are as happy as they can be. I had a standard 4 foot tank where my discus lay and ate their eggs all the time. My friend had a square tank 3 feet square 2 feet high. Discus bred and bred never ate any of their babies. Always wondered if it is just the shape of the tank and the feeling of space the square tank gave them.

Alright so i will put some more peat moss in the media bag. Also, how often should i replace the peat moss in the media ?

Alright so i will put some more peat moss in the media bag. Also, how often should i replace the peat moss in the media ?
Sorry you missed what I was talking about, when I say peat I mean the brown stuff like dirt. Not peat moss.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back