Low Maintenance Plants No Co2

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rdp50734

hates poor electrics :-(
Reaction score
Hi I would like to have some live plants in my tank but I have no idea where to start! I don't want to use co2, and I would like to stay away from fertilizers if possible. I have been told java fern and vallis are a good start, are there any others? Tank is a gravel substrate! lighting is 2x 30W T8 distance between lights and gravel 18". Thank you.

Anubias, java moss, java fern, vals are all easy plants that don't require CO2. If your lighting is 1 watt per gallon or better there are more plants that do well without CO2. Basically you are looking for plants that do well in a low tech planted setup.

Anubias and mosses are lovely for no co2,I've also grown Hygrophila Polysperma and Sagittaria Subulata well without co2,and floaters like Amazon Frogbit.

Plenty of plants to choose from that require very little. Quite a few types of Echinodrus do well, Cabomba, Elodia, Hygrophillia Polysperma, Aponogentons, Crypts, Java fern, Java moss, Moss balls, Ricca is a floater that will easily grow of course.

One tip I would give you, is to use a layer of pond soil capped with sand or fine/small gravel I use about 1 cm of soil toppped with a couple of inches of sand . I've been growing plants pretty well in that for years with absolutely no additional ferts, or CO2, and a single 25 watt tube .

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back