lost 2 honeys in 2 daysL:(

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

slamster17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I lost 2 honey gouramis in 2 days dunno why. they are in a new community tank. the ph is arond 7.2 and the ammonia is about .5 to 1 ppm. Could they just be a sickly batch of fish? was at lfs today and there where only 2 of the original 6 and 1 was dead. i hgave 1 left.

help me solve this mystery

Your ammonia is too high.

Get it down to zero, along with the nitrites. Don't add fish until your tank is properly cycled and ready for the new fish.

They were probably very stressed out before you got them, so that would definitely have been a factor. When getting big fish like them, it's always best to introduce only a few at a time, to fully cycle the tank, and quarantine if possible.

HTH

set up since saturday 1 week 10g 4 danios 1 gourami and some anarchis i have been using the things to build up beneficial bacteria. the dumb ditzy girls at my lfs said they were dying due to ph and that opne of my platie had a ph burn instead of fungus when i knew that the ph of 7.5 is fine for l;ivebearers.

thx

You're going to have to do lots of water changes over the next couple/few weeks. At least 15% a day, don't gravel vac too much though, just remove some water and replace it to keep your ammonia down. Buy some Prime, this will help break down your ammonia and nitrite quickly. You can also buy some beneficial bacteria in a bottle (what you need to destroy ammonia) Cycle brand is good, Bio-Spira is the best, NitroMax is also good.

Your tank is a good size for the danios, but the honey gourami will eventually need a bigger home :/ Don't add any more fish right now! Wait until it's cycled and see who survives.

are you sure about the honeys tho? they only may get to 2 inches
my single honey is still barely 1 inch

It's not a good idea to have these guys in small quarters unless breeding. :no:

I'd suggets moving the danios, too, because of hypoxia (suffocation because they need to move to push water over their gills to get O2). It shouldn't be a problem under good maintenance and surface agitation.

I think the danios will be ok. Can you buy one of those air wands for extra oxygen? Especially during the cycle, the ammonia is very harmful to their gills.

?? u guys confused me now it isn't that small of a tank it seems rele big to me and won't my filter provide enought wAter agitation?? n how come i have to move the danios they are the best looking fish in the tank and the gourami loves the anachris and he only rele stays near the plant.

Does your filter create a slight ripple on the surface? If so, it's probably fine. Your biggest concern right now is the cycle.

Your gourami will be ok for now (if he survives the cycle) but as he grows, he'll need a bigger tank, don't worry...you'll want another tank anyway! Fish are addicting. :look:

thx it does create a pushy thing as the plants in the tank are moving. fish are addicting can't walk into a store w/o trying to gat a fishy was gonna get some bumblebee cats but then i saw the monster they had for 30$ in another tank. also boght 2 pregnant platys today:) and my baby guppies are doin excellent but this is my first community tank.i'v done alot of research on the honey and i don't think it'ss get past 1.5 inches. but u nvr kno. i just set up water for a change tomorrow and added some stress zyme to increase bio filter.

one more thing, would my last honey b ok in my guppy fry tank? i can relocate sum fry but i relly want to save the honey. its a small 5 gallon with a pump/airstone and no plants real r fake
would it be ok? in there?

Most reactions

trending

Back