Losing A Fish A Day Help! Day 4

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sammy1911

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all
I have a 60 gallon cabinet tank with a drip tray system (with active carbon, bio ring and filter foam. The tank has been running for just over two months and I have the following fish:
19 neon tetras
4 mollie (1 male dalmation, 2 white female, 1 black female (which was sold to me as a mollie but looks just like a swordtail....)
5 platys (1 female, 4 males - I went into the shop on Saturday and bought 3 females but over night 2 died so I complained to the store who replaced the fish FOC - they were obvious bitter about this as they gave me males knowing full well my situation :sad: hence 4:1 ratio)
2 danios (don't know what sex but are very happy in a pair, always playing together!)
Small/fine/smooth gravel
3 bits of bog wood
Approx 40-50 stems plants

I have now lost four fish in total since this Sunday (3 platys 1 betta) I have done two water changes (yesterday lunch time and evening, have previously been doing once fortnightly - was due this weekend) I suspected amonia posioning as the gills of the remaining fish are red... but have lost two fish today.. stress caused from water change?

Anyway, in addition to the dying fish I am also concerned about my platys - am I fully stocked now, can I afford to get more female platys or should I try and sell / give them away in my local classified?? This may not be a worry if the fish keep dying at this rate... I have stopped feeding them and will probably hold off for a couple of days, I have ordered a Tetra 6 in 1 testing kit which I am hoping arrives tomorrow (fingers crossed!)

Any suggestions/tip/hints/constructive critisism please!!

First of all, did you cycle the tank?

And do you have a test kit?

If you have no way of testing for toxins right now (ammonia and nitrite), ideally with a liquid test kit rather than inaccurate test strips, I'd say start with a 75% water change (or even more, leaving just enough original water for your fish). Unless your tap water is playing up, this will drastically lower toxins.

If you have not done already, check your filter for rotting food on the sponges/pads and very lightly rinse them in removed tank water.

If you have not already, vacuum the tank floor while reomving water, to remove any rotting food and/or detritus.

As long as you are using dechlorinator (Seachem Prime is highly recommended, extremely concentrated and works out much cheaper), your "fresh" water is not contaminated and is of a similar temp, massive emergency water changes like these will not cause any long term stress (they might panicj a little while in the last bit of water, but will quickly settle once you add fresh).

Until you know what is causing your fish deaths, do not add any new fish to this tank.

Thanks for quick replies!!!
Firstly, I have no test kit I'm waiting for it to arrive. However, I am going to take a water sample to a shop tomorrow (will let you know the results!)
I have done a complete tank clean up i.e. vacumn gravel, remove debris (lose/rotting leaves), rinsed filter foam, cleaned glass and I would say I did 50% water change yesterday which was at the right temp etc etc
I did not cycle the tank before putting the fish in I only left it two weeks which I now know was really stupid - original newby rushing in all guns blazing and now I'm being punished... I just hope I don't lose too many before I get to sort this out.
I'm logging off for now, but will be back with my results tomorrow nite x

I forgot to take a sample to work but my test kit arrived in the post so results tonight are...
N03 0-10
no2 0
GH 16
KH 3
CL2 0

I haven't fed them since yesterday morning but another fish died today (makes five in five days).... does anyone have any ideas???

Ok, bin to LFS water is good and yet another fish dead today. I have bought a 'general tonic' any other ideas to save the remaining fish??? Pleeeeezzzzeeeeeeeeeeee

Dead count;
1 Betta
1 mollie
2 platys
1 neon

Your test results don't include ammonia.
What is your ammonia value? in ppm (parts per million).
You need to test for ammonia!
If ammonia is above 0, keep doing 50%+ water changes every day (match temperature, add dechlorinator).

You have an activated carbon filter in your tank that is 2 months old? It is possible (I don't know how likely, though) that it is saturated and leaking toxins back into your tank. If that filter doesn't also house your beneficial bacteria, you should replace it soon.

Hi, the LFS checked my ammonia which was 0 yesterday the only thing they mentioned was my PH @ 7.5.

I've lost another platy today BUT I have noticed that she has barely any fins left - could a bully be killing off my fish? I have a dalmation mollie (male) which is considerably bigger than the other fish despite being bought around the same time but with some fish he's double the size and does tend to chase his tank mates around could this be enough to cause my problem? If yes, what do I do about him?

To clarify - water is good, checked and double checked using various methods
Active carbon - two/three weeks old
Bio-rings just over two months old
Filter foam 4-5 weeks old (has been rinsed when doing a water change)
Plants 3-4 weeks old, have got a few snails but am getting them out of the tank every couple of days
I've used a general tonic (yesterday)
Carried out a 40-50% water change
Stopped feeding the fish two days (gave them a little bit last night ;o) )
And I think that's it just to say that today is day 6 = 6 fish dead agggrrrr

Sorry, I don't know what else to say ... I'm too inexperienced. Hopefully somebody else can chime in to help.

Maybe you can set up a video camera in front of your tank and see if you can catch the bully red-handed! :D

Main thing is dont change your filter pads, if you feel they need cleaning give them a quick squish in TANK water not tap water - only do this if they look severly clogged as the the gunk is the bacteria that you need to purify the water.

You could do with supplying - Ammonia, Nitrite and PH figures as a minimum, just had a thought whats the temperature also.

Did the previous stiffs have any obvious war wounds?

I know these Q's dont look like they help but it gives us a start.

Paul

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back