Looking for 5-10W heater with thermostat

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tempestuousfury

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
My betta hasn't been doing well and is exhibiting the clamped fins and flicking that is consistent with ick. I've purchased the medicine, but I need a heater that will get the water over 82F. Google has not been helpful in finding a decent product. Could someone please direct me to a site where I can find a heater that will work?

TIA

(Sorry for a duplicate or wrongly placed post)

I have not come across heaters below 25w, though that doesn't mean they are not available. What is the tank size?

Why would it? the thermostat will cut off at what ever temp you set it to.

Well, I have to say that I have heard of failed heaters, thermostat or not, and literally did cook the fish (this has happened with new heaters as well apparently!) :confused:

So the OP is right to be cautious and its only through asking advice and from own experience will he learn what to look out for.

But anyway, I have come across heaters below 25w, but always a fixed heater, not with adjustable thermostat.

A 25w will be ok to use in a 2 gal tank which is about 7.5 litres, a bit on the small side for a betta but doable.

General rule being one watt per litre of water but of course there are exceptions.
And with thermostat heaters, a lot of them are not 100% accurate, meaning you may set the heater at 78F but reality is maybe being a couple of degrees warmer or colder, once you have found the small margin of error, you simply adjust the thermostat accordingly.

Well, I have to say that I have heard of failed heaters, thermostat or not, and literally did cook the fish (this has happened with new heaters as well apparently!)

Yes of course a failed heater can do that, a failed 25 wat will do the same as a failed 15 wat overnight, Its a risk that everybody in the hobby runs when using a heater in a tropical tank but good quality heaters like Aquael are less likely to fail than the cheap stuff, you really get what you pay for.

If it's only two gallons why not try a plant heat mat under the tank, they come in lower powers.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back