Basically Another Betta Caresheet

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

B

BettaBettas

Be aware of what you are getting into before you purchase a Betta fish. Know that these fish can live up to 10 years under the proper care, so do your research before buying. The minimum tank size (officially) for a Betta Splenden is 2.5 Gallons with a heater and filter. Please don't keep a Betta fish in a bowl, it is terrible for their health and is very small! Your Betta fish will not be happy or live as long. put yourself in there shoes. or in this case, fins x3

DO some initial background research. there's a lot to know about Betta fish, even beyond the basics just outlined. in general, large box stores aren't in the business of providing detailed information, unless you happen to strike a Betta enthusiast salesperson. As well as having the basic understanding of Betta outline above you might consider researching more details about Betta fish online at sites such ass BettaFish.com or BettaTalk.com, Or ibcbettas.org, etc. These sites will help as they did me, take notes and check up health and nutrition notes an find like-minded Betta fans to share stories with.

Prepare your Bettas home. Have a proper set up ready before bringing home your new Betta. Make sure the tank is cycled and ready first.
DO NOT place a male Betta fish with another male, females do fine together only if they have a docile personality and if you have here or more female Bettas, This is called a Betta sorority and is very hard to set up sometimes. if you only want two Bettas, don't put them together just to be safe. if you want another fish with your Betta, choose a fish that doesn't have long fins and is roughly about the same size as the Betta (depending on his personality.) Bigger fish (Most) will eat the Betta, and the Betta might eat any fish smaller than its mouth.

Choose a suitable home. in the wild Bettas inhabit Thai rice paddies. here there suited to living in relatively hallow but spacious enviroments. To meet the spacious need, consider giving your Betta a decently sized tank to help prolong its life. Pick a tank of 5 gallons or more for your Betta TO THRIVE. it may seem like a lot but its what your fish deserves.

Add the necessary equipment. Various equipment is require for the successful keeping of Betta fish:
Purchase a heater with a thermostat - Bettas like water temps between 75-82F/24-27C Bettas need a heater in all cases!
Filters are necessary with all types of fish but make sure the current is not to strong for your Betta. bear in mind that the long finned varieties do best with as little current as possible.
Avoid jagged rocks or décor. such decorations can easier tear Betta fins. its recommended that you check once a day at least that there aren't any tears in the Bettas fins. if there are tears, check the water quality, as tears are typically caused by poor water maintenance.
Avoid adding any hard plastic plants. again these can be rough on the fins. use the 'Pantyhose Test": if a plastic plant will snag a pair, when rubbed against it, then it will damage your Bettas fins. buy silk or real plants instead.

When adding water to the tank use a WATER CONDITIONER such as Prime before putting fresh tab water into the tank, the chlorine and chloramines in the standard tap can harm Bettas as well as kill off all that beneficial bacteria housed in the filter. older sources may suggested aging the water but its best to use a water conditioner.

fill the tank. if the tank doesn't have a top cover. fill it all but 25% to ensure your fish wont leap out. Bettas are very active and can jump over 3 inches/7.5cm when motivated with hard core karate music. However Bettas wont usually try to escape if there happy :)

When adding your Betta slowly tip the container in which you received your Betta into the new habitat, allowing the new water and old water to mix. This will make the water easier for your fish to adjust to-if the habitat water Is much colder or warmer than previous water, mixing waters will help allay any shock for the fish. Be gentle.

When your picking your Bettas Diet, it should consist primarily of pellets specifically made for feeding Betta. For special occasions, feed frozen brine shrimp or blood worms.
Feed your Betta regularly. Betta fish vary in eating habits from each other.

Clean up any extra food that your Betta doesn't eat. Similarly, watch your Betta to see if he/she spits up any food. this could be a sign that your Betta is a picky eater, or it could also mean that pellets are just to big for him/her.

When cleaning your Bettas tank place your Bettas into a container filled with old water while washing the tank. simply wash the tank with hot water, as some soaps will harm your Betta. leave about 25-50% of old tank water in the tank, return Betta and then fill the rest with treated tap water again.

Finally, Test the water weekly and have fun with your Betta :) Good Luck!

When adding your Betta slowly tip the container in which you received your Betta into the new habitat, allowing the new water and old water to mix. This will make the water easier for your fish to adjust to-if the habitat water Is much colder or warmer than previous water, mixing waters will help allay any shock for the fish. Be gentle.
I've actually read that you shouldn't do this. It is supposedly better to slowly acclimate by adding new water into the cup over a few hours until it's mostly new water and then put the betta in the new tank without getting any old water in it. 

btw I cracked up at your "real name". We saw him last summer at a popcon.  
biggrin.png

As you probably already know, there is already an article on Betta Splendens, written by WildBetta, a very well reknowned and respected betta breeder.

Betta Splendens Caresheet

But good to see you taking a keen interest and passing on your knowledge and experience, good for you :)

BettaBettas said:
lucky omg
We couldn't get very close-it was at a panel. Jack Septic-eye was also there along with some of their friends. It was for my kids but it was fun to see how everyone fawned over them. lol. 

I fawn over them all the time o-o (watching mark rn on new vid lol)

When cleaning your Bettas tank place your Bettas into a container filled with old water while washing the tank. simply wash the tank with hot water, as some soaps will harm your Betta
I strongly disagree, Washing your tank could cause your cycle to crash, Good bacteria lives on glass plants and substrate, Byron can explain it better.

When your picking your Bettas Diet, it should consist primarily of pellets specifically made for feeding Betta. For special occasions, feed frozen brine shrimp or blood worms.
My Bettas live on mostly frozen and live food.

If you do feed pellets I would suggest Atisons, New Life spectrum and Omega.

When it comes to setting up a tank. Forget all the nonsense your Betta wont need Castles or bridges or rocks or anything artificial,

Bog Wood and live plants are all you need especially floating plants, Bettas are surface dwelling fish and love the top cover.

While not to everyones liking this is the perfect set up for a Betta, In fact I could argue that there are not enough plants in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzgO_sNKcHo

This is NOT suitable for Bettas. Too open too bright no floating plants.
hqdefault.jpg

This is a natural way for a Betta to sleep. Image is of one of my Bettas.
jrzqsi.jpg

This is not suitable.
HBS2011-190811d.jpg

Bettas originate from this type of enviroment.
hqdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d38Lo3T3fJI

I watched that vid out of curiosity since i have never seen bettas being caught in the wild. A little unorthodox and not sure if i like that but i guess thats the way its done whether we like it or not.

And i have to agree that the more plants the better,  but not so much that you never see the betta :lol:

Does it matter what kind of live plants you use?

Educational :)

BettaBettas said:
Be aware of what you are getting into before you purchase a Betta fish. Know that these fish can live up to 10 years under the proper care, so do your research before buying. The minimum tank size (officially) for a Betta Splenden is 2.5 Gallons with a heater and filter. Please don't keep a Betta fish in a bowl, it is terrible for their health and is very small! Your Betta fish will not be happy or live as long. put yourself in there shoes. or in this case, fins x3

There is no such thing as an OFFICIAL minimum tank size for a domestic betta splendens.  Bowls are not detrimental to health and can come in sizes of well over 5 gallons. 

DO some initial background research. there's a lot to know about Betta fish, even beyond the basics just outlined. in general, large box stores aren't in the business of providing detailed information, unless you happen to strike a Betta enthusiast salesperson. As well as having the basic understanding of Betta outline above you might consider researching more details about Betta fish online at sites such ass BettaFish.com or BettaTalk.com, Or ibcbettas.org, etc. These sites will help as they did me, take notes and check up health and nutrition notes an find like-minded Betta fans to share stories with.

Prepare your Bettas home. Have a proper set up ready before bringing home your new Betta. Make sure the tank is cycled and ready first.
DO NOT place a male Betta fish with another male, females do fine together only if they have a docile personality and if you have here or more female Bettas, This is called a Betta sorority and is very hard to set up sometimes. if you only want two Bettas, don't put them together just to be safe. if you want another fish with your Betta, choose a fish that doesn't have long fins and is roughly about the same size as the Betta (depending on his personality.) Bigger fish (Most) will eat the Betta, and the Betta might eat any fish smaller than its mouth.

Females do not always "do fine" together and are often more aggressive than males and it is almost impossible to know if you have a docile female until you have put them together. There are a lot more things to think about besides size and fin length when choosing suitable tankmates for a betta.  These include activity level, temperature range, and where the other fish stays in the water column.

Choose a suitable home. in the wild Bettas inhabit Thai rice paddies. here there suited to living in relatively hallow but spacious enviroments. To meet the spacious need, consider giving your Betta a decently sized tank to help prolong its life. Pick a tank of 5 gallons or more for your Betta TO THRIVE. it may seem like a lot but its what your fish deserves.

Wild betta splendens -- while their habitat is expansive --the bettas themselves stick to tiny areas (males).  Bettas do not need 5 gallons or more to thrive.  There are some bettas that prefer much smaller amounts of water and actually will stress themselves to death in larger tanks.  It is important to go along with how your betta acts in his/her setup.  Larger tanks are easier to maintain especially for first time fish owners so it is a good idea to go as large as you can afford.  
smile.png

Add the necessary equipment. Various equipment is require for the successful keeping of Betta fish:
Purchase a heater with a thermostat - Bettas like water temps between 75-82F/24-27C Bettas need a heater in all cases!
Filters are necessary with all types of fish but make sure the current is not to strong for your Betta. bear in mind that the long finned varieties do best with as little current as possible.
Avoid jagged rocks or décor. such decorations can easier tear Betta fins. its recommended that you check once a day at least that there aren't any tears in the Bettas fins. if there are tears, check the water quality, as tears are typically caused by poor water maintenance.
Avoid adding any hard plastic plants. again these can be rough on the fins. use the 'Pantyhose Test": if a plastic plant will snag a pair, when rubbed against it, then it will damage your Bettas fins. buy silk or real plants instead.

Bettas do not REQUIRE a filter since they primarily breathe surface air with their labyrinth organ.  A filter is a great idea for most tanks though because it allows an owner to keep the water cleaner without as much work.  Bettas do not REQUIRE heaters in all cases.  The important thing is to make sure the water stays in the temperature range of 76F to 82F(24C-27C).  There are lots of places in the world where the temperature stays warm enough (either half year to full year long) for no heater.  Fin tears are not typically caused by poor water maintenance, they are caused by being caught on something in the tank.  Fin rot is typically caused by poor water quality -- a totally separate thing than fin tears.  

When adding water to the tank use a WATER CONDITIONER such as Prime before putting fresh tab water into the tank, the chlorine and chloramines in the standard tap can harm Bettas as well as kill off all that beneficial bacteria housed in the filter. older sources may suggested aging the water but its best to use a water conditioner.

fill the tank. if the tank doesn't have a top cover. fill it all but 25% to ensure your fish wont leap out. Bettas are very active and can jump over 3 inches/7.5cm when motivated with hard core karate music. However Bettas wont usually try to escape if there happy
smile.png

Betta tanks need a full cover.  Bettas are very good jumpers and can easily jump well over 3 inches straight up from laying on a flat surface.  Bettas jump for all kinds of reasons and it has nothing to do with their happiness. Lowering the water level and keeping an uncovered tank is still not truly safe because of how high they can jump if motivated.  The only real safe way to ensure not ending up with a betta out of the tank is to make sure the complete top is covered in some way.  

Mixing water from an unknown source is never a good idea.  It is actually much better to remove the betta into a cup of the tank water and then slowly pour him into the tank. 

Feed your Betta regularly. Betta fish vary in eating habits from each other.

Clean up any extra food that your Betta doesn't eat. Similarly, watch your Betta to see if he/she spits up any food. this could be a sign that your Betta is a picky eater, or it could also mean that pellets are just to big for him/her.

When cleaning your Bettas tank place your Bettas into a container filled with old water while washing the tank. simply wash the tank with hot water, as some soaps will harm your Betta. leave about 25-50% of old tank water in the tank, return Betta and then fill the rest with treated tap water again.

Unless you are keeping the betta in very small containers (like a breeder does), there is really no reason to remove the betta from the tank and do a complete clean and wipe down(possible illness is another matter).  It is actually much more stressful for most bettas to be taken out of the tank while the water change is being done.  I recommend leaving the betta in the tank while removing 25-50% of the water, then add your new water.  

Finally, Test the water weekly and have fun with your Betta
smile.png
Good Luck!

Testing the water is very important until the tank is cycled and then once a month testing is a good plan for normal upkeep.  
 There are a couple things not quite correct in your post.  The replies in red are more recommended information(for both quoted posts).  
smile.png

NickAu said:

When cleaning your Bettas tank place your Bettas into a container filled with old water while washing the tank. simply wash the tank with hot water, as some soaps will harm your Betta
I strongly disagree, Washing your tank could cause your cycle to crash, Good bacteria lives on glass plants and substrate, Byron can explain it better.

My Bettas live on mostly frozen and live food.

If you do feed pellets I would suggest Atisons, New Life spectrum and Omega.

When it comes to setting up a tank. Forget all the nonsense your Betta wont need Castles or bridges or rocks or anything artificial,

Bog Wood and live plants are all you need especially floating plants, Bettas are surface dwelling fish and love the top cover.

While not to everyones liking this is the perfect set up for a Betta, In fact I could argue that there are not enough plants in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzgO_sNKcHo

This is NOT suitable for Bettas. Too open too bright no floating plants.
hqdefault.jpg

This is actually perfectly fine for a betta.  Not all bettas have issues with lights or open spaces and do not require floating plants.  While I agree with you that bettas do better in fully planted setups -- saying something like this is unsuitable is wrong.  

This is a natural way for a Betta to sleep. Image is of one of my Bettas.
jrzqsi.jpg

This is not suitable.
HBS2011-190811d.jpg

Bettas sleep in many different ways.  Both the pictures you have posted show perfectly fine ways for bettas to sleep.  (the bottom pic is misleading since the betta appears a bit bloated and possibly unwell)  

Bettas originate from this type of enviroment.
hqdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d38Lo3T3fJI

Good to see you 'floating around' here again WB!  

Finally, Test the water weekly and have fun with your Betta :) Good Luck!
If you have a tank bigger then 5 gallons you only need to take out about 30-40% of the water.

As this thread has been reactivated anyways, I shall ask a question here.

If a betta dies from a contagious illness, is it necessary to completely clean out the tank (meaning scrubbing it thoroughly, and restarting the cycle) to keep other fish from catching the disease?

Also, in a tank like the BiOrb (like a fishbowl, only 4 gallons and filtered), is it safe to put a betta in there, as the rounded acrylic causes constant reflections?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back