Look What I Got!

Clean the filter? Do you mean you run it under tap? Or do you shake it out in discarded tank water?

Just curious why you've decided to do the fish in method instead of going for fishless to cycle the tank?
It really would be much MUCH easier. You don't have to worry about doing water changes all the time (which slows down the cycling so it takes even longer) and you don't have to worry about killing the fish you use.
 
In all honesty. The first thing I'd get, would be a stand that the tank sits on properly.
 
In all honesty. The first thing I'd get, would be a stand that the tank sits on properly.
Me too. But seriously, I would get rid of the goldfish. All species will outgrow your 10g and depending on the species, 2 or 3 should fit the 55 quite nicely.


Doing water changes will during a fish in cycle will not slow it down. I think Bignose just wrote a mini-article on why. Do a search for it. But doing a fishless cycle is much easier. Will it be easier to do daily or twice daily water changes for a month or just test for ammonia and nitrite for a month?

Cold water fish living with tropicals is not a good idea. I also doubt your water quality is great with all of the poo machines you have in your tank. Could you tell us the exact water stats? Also, don't trust the lfs to test your water for you, do it yourself.

Ryan
 
OK this thread is getting a little out of hand. The OP isn't making a good impression of himself, but that gives you no right to insult him. You are just adding fuel to the fire. And did anyone bother to ask what kind of goldfish he has? If they are commons, then he has a big problem. But if they are fancy ones then he should be able to keep them though they will need a 30gal tank to themselves. When all else fails, large plastic storage bin + filter= tank.
 
his tank is hanging way off
mine is barely an inch

i have looked and looked at that table, and looked at it some more
its not going anywere

i am sorry to come off rude, but people join fourms to learn
i take everyones advice, now i dont have money for a stand right now, that why i didnt rush out to wal-mart and get there cheap one for 90bucks

all my money is tied up in my az trip, that i am leaving for on monday

all i am trying to do is understand seeding, tank cycling, things like that

i know i need a stand people

i have two other fourms who dont have near the amount of members helping me out alot better than you guys are doing
 
like i said
my 10 gal tank is gonna have my to pop-eyed gold fish in it, til i get money for a 30gal tank
one tank at a time

i am moving my 3 zebras, 1 platty, and my 6inch placo to the 55gal tank

i am smarter than most noobs

i have taken water from the ten gal, the old filter media from my bio wheel 100, two hand fulls of gravel, and two oraments and put them in my 55 gal tank

i also have 4 zebra fish that are currently in the 55

my old filter media is sitting in front of the new one on the 55gal

i just got 3.0 ammonia and did a 20% water change

now do i do it again when it gets that high? or what am i really wathcing here?
 
I've had to cut a number of posts from this thread. Please stay on topic and watch your language or I will have to close it.
 
like i said
my 10 gal tank is gonna have my to pop-eyed gold fish in it, til i get money for a 30gal tank
one tank at a time

i am moving my 3 zebras, 1 platty, and my 6inch placo to the 55gal tank

i am smarter than most noobs

i have taken water from the ten gal, the old filter media from my bio wheel 100, two hand fulls of gravel, and two oraments and put them in my 55 gal tank

i also have 4 zebra fish that are currently in the 55

my old filter media is sitting in front of the new one on the 55gal

i just got 3.0 ammonia and did a 20% water change

now do i do it again when it gets that high? or what am i really wathcing here?

Yep do another water change. You want to keep ammonia below .5 and nitrite below .25. Don't be afraid to do a 75% water change to get the ammonia down. Also have you checked your tap water for ammonia, cuz 3ppm seems high if you moved the filter media over and only have 4 zebra dainos in there. Also I suggest you get something like Prime to help deal with the ammonia.
 
I'm sorry. Reading back through this I was acting like a jerk and I would like to publicly apologize. I shouldn't have made a crack about your tank being on a table. I've had mine on tables before.

Not that it's an excuse for me to be an ass, but, I've recently been dealing with some really emotional stuff. My fiance and I recently broke up and things are getting worse. That doesn't justify my being an ass though.


Sorry again. Really. Please, forgive me.
 
all my money is tied up in my az trip, that i am leaving for on monday


Do you have someone to watch over your new cycling tank while you're gone? If not it might be wiser to just leave the fish in the ten gallon while you're gone and then set up the new one when you get back.
 
When I mentioned the table, I wasn't trying to be either insulting nor funny. I think the table is more than capable of supporting the weight of the tank, but the tank itself can be stressed and can crack or leak if not supported evenly all the way around. I'm trying to save a fellow member from possibly damaging a great tank.
 
the 4 zebras will be ok in the 55gal...i think
i am gonna have them fed everyday

i am doing a big water change in the morning, before that i am checking the ammonia
i am hoping to hit zero tomarow night...is this possible?

i thank everyone for being so worried for the tank, the only reason why i am cycling it now is so i can get my pleco out of the 10gal, hes so stressed in there i cant walk by the tank with out him running

btw i am NOT getting rid of him

this is why it is important that i do this right with the water, i will be able to move the tank soon

right now my ammonia is .5
i havent checked the p/h

but it was steady at 7.5
 
Dude im sorry for completely being an ass. I was just frustrated as you completely flicked of the forum, after i tried to help you and tried to be nice. 3ppm of ammonia isnt good at all. Any amount of Nitrite or Ammonia is Very Detremental to your fish. I would do a 75 % water change and check on it later and see what it comes up to be.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top