Look at this rainbow cloud! (Dont know what else to call it)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have only seen this once before so it's pretty rare I suppose...

20220813_133828_capture.jpg

The RASC (Royal Astronomical Society of Canada) puts out an awesome Observers Handbook, mine is 2017 edition ISBN 978-1-927879-06-01, that goes into mind-numbing details on many things.
Reading the text (ibid pp 201, 202) it appears to be either a Circumhorizontal or Circumzenithal arc.

Last edited:
@Rocky998 , If you can approximate the elevation of the arcs and the Sun in degrees above the horizon, the exact type can be determined.

@Rocky998 , If you can approximate the elevation of the arcs and the Sun in degrees above the horizon, the exact type can be determined.
No way Jose. 😅. (Not good at approximating large distances)
Kinda looks like a cirrus type cloud though.
Could have been just enough water molecules to produce the light prisms needed for color

Thank you! I was trying to look it up online with the info you gave in the first post but I couldn't find it really....
Didn't know it had to be so exact 😅
Lots of numbers and stuff
The section (many pages with angles and crystalographical wizardry) on rainbows would blow you away!

The section (many pages with angles and crystalographical wizardry) on rainbows would blow you away!
I bet it would!
All the science behind something that looks beautifully simple is pretty incredible

And here I was thinking this would be a nice thread showing pictures of fluffy unicorn and pony shaped clouds with rainbows running through them. Instead, what do I find, but a NERD FEST. Get a room you two, preferably one with a balcony so you can stand outside and look at the pretty clouds together :)

How the fuplie are you meant to do that?

And here I was thinking this would be a nice thread showing pictures of fluffy unicorn and pony shaped clouds with rainbows running through them. Instead, what do I find, but a NERD FEST. Get a room you two, preferably one with a balcony so you can stand outside and look at the pretty clouds together :)

Who you calling a nerd?

I got no flipping clue

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back