The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I was at my LFS today to get a filter, and saw they had a bunch of Longfin Green Dragon Bristlenose Pecos. I REALLY want one, so I am going to rearrange my tanks tomorrow to find room for one.

The tank I want to put him in is a 20 gallon high tank, it has a Quietflow 30 on it. Ph at 7.4 and my gh is at 104 ppm, after my most recent water change. I change 60% of the water every week.

Decorated with driftwood and a fake plants mixed with some hornwort, Java moss, and assorted Java ferns.

Current Stock:
1×Cardinal Tetra
3×Neon Tetra
5×Harlequin Rasbora
3×Dwarf Chain Loach
1xHalfmoon King Betta
Various cherry shrimp and snails that the loaches snack on.

How the stock would look after the Great Tank Shuffle, and after a trip back to LFS.
Hopeful stock:
7xHarlequin Rasbora
3xDwarf Chain Loach
1xLF Green Dragon BN Please
Various snails and shrimp.
I would like to keep the Betta in his current tank, if you guys think I wouldn't be overstocked. The neon/cardinal tetra are being moved to a 29 gallon tank, and I will be picking up another to fill that school out to 5. I would get more of the loaches, but the LFS won't have them in stock again for a couple of weeks.

Would this work, do you guys think?

I was at my LFS today to get a filter, and saw they had a bunch of Longfin Green Dragon Bristlenose Pecos. I REALLY want one, so I am going to rearrange my tanks tomorrow to find room for one.

The tank I want to put him in is a 20 gallon high tank, it has a Quietflow 30 on it. Ph at 7.4 and my gh is at 104 ppm, after my most recent water change. I change 60% of the water every week.

Decorated with driftwood and a fake plants mixed with some hornwort, Java moss, and assorted Java ferns.

Current Stock:
1×Cardinal Tetra
3×Neon Tetra
5×Harlequin Rasbora
3×Dwarf Chain Loach
1xHalfmoon King Betta
Various cherry shrimp and snails that the loaches snack on.

How the stock would look after the Great Tank Shuffle, and after a trip back to LFS.
Hopeful stock:
7xHarlequin Rasbora
3xDwarf Chain Loach
1xLF Green Dragon BN Please
Various snails and shrimp.
I would like to keep the Betta in his current tank, if you guys think I wouldn't be overstocked. The neon/cardinal tetra are being moved to a 29 gallon tank, and I will be picking up another to fill that school out to 5. I would get more of the loaches, but the LFS won't have them in stock again for a couple of weeks.

Would this work, do you guys think?
i'd move the dwarf chains to the 29. They are very active loaches and require a lot of space. Ideally the tank needs to bbe 2 and a half feet long for them to be happy.

Also, there is an issue when it comes to loaches in that they like to set up hierachys. As you already have three in there, it is likely that there is already a dominant male/female. And if you add more, the older fish are unlikely to accept them into the group. It is better to add all of them at the same time so 6-8 at the same time etc. Also DCL are very social fish and need groups of 6+ for happy behaviour. Not saying yours arent happy, just saying they need a few more friends and stuff. Also DCL are likely to eat small snails and shrimp.

I have the snails and shrimp there specifically for the to eat. The shop only had the 3 loaches. I need to wait for more to come in. So do I add more or not in 2-3 weeks?

The problem with the 29 is that I already have my 7 pepper corycats and 7 otos in there. I would be worried the loaches would pick on them. Or would they get along with the corydoras and otos?

And would the new plec be okay with my current build?

I have the snails and shrimp there specifically for the to eat. The shop only had the 3 loaches. I need to wait for more to come in. So do I add more or not in 2-3 weeks?

The problem with the 29 is that I already have my 7 pepper corycats and 7 otos in there. I would be worried the loaches would pick on them. Or would they get along with the corydoras and otos?

And would the new plec be okay with my current build?
You are in a tough spot here. You could keep the loaches in the 20 tall where they don't really have enough room or you could put them in the 29 where they will outcompete the corys for food. However, if you put enough food in they can do ok, but he general rule of thumb is either corys or loaches. I would look into getting another 29 and then adding the loaches at the same time if you decide to get more loaches. Does that make sense? I'll thin that last sentence out a bit cos it was a bit confusing.

If you get another 29, wait to put them in. Wait until your LFS get more in then add all of the dwarf chains in together so that they don't fight amongst the newer fish. For now keep them in the 20 tall and whilst this is not ideal, it is better than having them outcompete the corys for food.

You could probably have the plec in the 29, it should be ok.

I do have another option. If Firemouths would be okay with corydoras, I can put the corys in the 55 I am setting up, then move the loaches once I can get ahold of more. I have read conflicting reports of FMs and Cory's, mostly that if you want to try it, add corys first.

I do have another option. If Firemouths would be okay with corydoras, I can put the corys in the 55 I am setting up, then move the loaches once I can get ahold of more. I have read conflicting reports of FMs and Cory's, mostly that if you want to try it, add corys first.
I think the DCL would probably be better unless the corys you have get bigger than 7-8cm

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back