The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
With some of my recent tank purchases (and some upcoming trades to the fish store) my 90 gallon tank will be empty. It is a standard 48" × 18" × 24".
My water is 7.4 pm and around 110 ppm hardness, so I have plenty of options. I am also willing to harden the water with lake salts if needed for potential fish.

My first idea would be an Amazon Puffer community tank. My lfs has some, and they are very personable. I really do love puffers (I have pea puffers and figure 8s already). I thought my orange chromides (really chill unless breeding) and a schooling fish could go in with them. Maybe a group of loaches.

My other idea would be Turkana Jewel Cichlids. Aquatic arts has some, and they are stunning. Not sure if they are compatible with other fish.

I could do a single larger fish, like an Oscar. I would be afraid of getting bored of it, though.

Or, I can do a peaceful community tank. Two of my favorite tanks are peaceful community tanks. My 55 has Pearl Gourami, Black Ruby Barbs, Cardinal Tetra, Harlequin Rasbora, Yoyo Loaches, and a BN pleco. While my 20 Long has cory cats, khuli loaches, ember tetra, CPD, and a betta.

I am just struck with indecision on this one. It seems like I am never happy with either of my two big tanks. The only fish in the big ones I really LOVE are my Blood Parrot, BN pleco, Orange chromide, Rainbow Cichlid, and Green Phantom Pleco.

You will never get bored with an Oscar or two.
DSC00898.JPG

Could I do a pair in a 90, or a singleton? They seem a lot like puppies in personality.
A pair will be fine, they are the most fun you will ever have with a freshwater fish. They have personality plus. Get three young ones with the idea you will rehome one at some stage. Have good filtration. Plant the tank. Let them decide where they want the rocks and decor. They will arrange their home the way they want it. Fantastic fun.

A pair will be fine, they are the most fun you will ever have with a freshwater fish. They have personality plus. Get three young ones with the idea you will rehome one at some stage. Have good filtration. Plant the tank. Let them decide where they want the rocks and decor. They will arrange their home the way they want it. Fantastic fun.
I will definitely see if the lfs can get me a couple. Looking at pictures, I really like the lemon and veiltail oscars.

The other fish I loved were African cichlids. They have personality plus as well and when they breed, they are so cool. I would just get a few, like four fish and let them breed and make their own society.

The other fish I loved were African cichlids. They have personality plus as well and when they breed, they are so cool. I would just get a few, like four fish and let them breed and make their own society.
I was looking at the yellow labs (I already have a lot of yellow/orange fish though), or strawberry peacocks or even assorted peacocks. They look cool, but I wasn't sure what the personality of them was like. The reason my 55 (gourami and loaches) and puffer tanks are such a treat is because the fish come right up the the glass when I am around. I have shell dwellers and really do love them.

Edited for spelling

I had a tank that had Electric Yellow and Blue labs in it. Really cool. The blues hang out at one end and the yellows at the other. The colours of the local rugby team was yellow and blue, so it was set up as a supporters tanks.

If you don't want something quite as large as an Oscar - try getting DoJo loaches - another personality plus fish. They'll start small but mine were about 15" inches long at 6 months old. Move them in slowly because with a newly cycled tank they put out quite a bit of ammonia on their own. I recently perfectly cycled a 90 gallon tank and added bacteria and then moved my 4 Dojo over. Within a week 3 of 4 had died from ammonia poisoning. If I had moved them one at a time I don't think this would have happened (they were coming from 50 gallon without any ammonia issues - they just needed more room) I just didn't give my tank enough time to have enough bacteria so putting them in at the same time added way too much ammonia to the system and it lacked enough bacteria or something to handle all the XL sized fish I added. Or just get 4 small ones and let them grow into the tank size like originally did. I LOVE how peaceful they are and how they seem to really care about each other. The first one awake in the morning goes around and wakes the others up (they may just go back to sleep), If it's feeding time - one will alert the others. And if one is sick or dying they will all rally around that individual trying to keep him from going belly up. They look like eels with whiskers. They can also jump but I had one last over 2 hours outside of the aquarium (they have multiple swim bladders to hold oxygen). I thought he was dead until I picked him up and he came alive so I tossed him back in the tank with no ill effects.

I had a tank that had Electric Yellow and Blue labs in it. Really cool. The blues hang out at one end and the yellows at the other. The colours of the local rugby team was yellow and blue, so it was set up as a supporters tanks.
I’ve been trying to nave a red n white n black tank for similar reasons. Silver substituting for white though.

The selection of fish is always a personal one of choice. For a display tank, I tend to prefer a planted tank with community fish.
Frankly, I don't like to see large fish confined in tanks too small to allow the freedom of swimming around. Imagine how we would feel in solitary confinement! It's just cruel.

I once visited a national aquarium in Baltimore. Next door was a Barnes 'n Noble and up on the second floor was a very large (had to be over 800g), heavily planted aquarium, with a couple of hundred Cardinal Tetras. It was awesome!

But the choice is up to you...choose wisely to have the aquarium of your dreams. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back