Lone cory cat has white coating

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
A uv steriliser is unlikely to make much difference, especially if it's a water quality issue.
I should have been a little clearer (pun intended) about that.

I see the sterilizer as just one more edge I can use - supposedly they will kill off a lot of pathogens -

I was not counting on it to get me out of my current problem, or to be a short-cut

Hmm.. I'm still rather new to the hobby and so far haven't had to treat any illnesses but I like to read a lot.

From what I've learned, it almost sounds like a bacterial infection (think fin rot is also bacterial). Almost sounds like the bacteria from his fin rot delved into the skin on his front half. Which could make sense, since bacterial infections commonly follow fin/tail rot issues or open sores/abrasions if I remember right.

But it also sounds a lot like ich, especially if he keeps rubbing on things and he is extra twitchy/jumpy.

Hard to tell from 2 of the pics, but in the 1st pic are those spots raised bumps, or open sores? The answer could point you in the right direction.

Also, is he showing any other symptoms, like rapid breathing?

Atm, if we assume his symptoms are a white film (following the fin rot healing up) with open sores or raised bumps, he's rubbing on stuff, is extra jumpy.. I'd say it is either ich (parasitic) or bacterial infection.

Hope this helps give you a couple directions to research, between parasitic ich and bacterial infection, as the provided info. will probably correlate more with what you're experiencing in 1 direction or the other.

This article lightly touches on both Ich and bacterial infections, be worth checking out for starting research reference.

Best of luck - hope your cory gets better!
Adora,

Don't know if you've been able to follow this thread, the way it's been branching out, but here's an update; the cory is much better. Coating almost gone and he frolics about like the other cory now, not so jumpy, eats more, not sitting still so much.

The damaged fin is healed good as new, and he had a damaged barbel which healed back almost overnight.

Adora,

Don't know if you've been able to follow this thread, the way it's been branching out, but here's an update; the cory is much better. Coating almost gone and he frolics about like the other cory now, not so jumpy, eats more, not sitting still so much.

The damaged fin is healed good as new, and he had a damaged barbel which healed back almost overnight.
That's great news! :D
Keep up with those water changes and the med you're using if it seems to be helping, and please keep us updated!

When you give away the rainbow shark (and really, I'd urge you to rehome both, unless you have a plan to move one to a larger tank and this is just a grow out for now?) but once rainbow sharks aren't in there, and it's finished cycling and cories are better, would be good to add a few more of the same species of cory. They're a schooling fish, and much more comfortable in groups of six or more.:)

That's great news! :D
Keep up with those water changes and the med you're using if it seems to be helping, and please keep us updated!

When you give away the rainbow shark (and really, I'd urge you to rehome both, unless you have a plan to move one to a larger tank and this is just a grow out for now?) but once rainbow sharks aren't in there, and it's finished cycling and cories are better, would be good to add a few more of the same species of cory. They're a schooling fish, and much more comfortable in groups of six or more.:)
I'd thought of the shark as part of the clean-up crew, but less specialized as a bottom cleaner. It seems to work out that way. The shark spends a lot more time cleaning plants, but if he gets too big, I'll try to trade him in for a species that does the same job or similar, but is smaller and less aggressive.

I have a hair grass plant that needs proper potting, but I can't find a clear candidate for soil. I know it's supposed to be "clay based", NOT something like garden or potting soil, but no luck with an actual product.

Any ideas?

Adora,

Oh awesome! Glad it's all working out!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back