Log burner in room

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Richrox986

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here, but have had many tropical tanks previously. I am now looking to make a 1.5metre reef tank a feature in my living room.

So, in effect, treat me as a newbie, as this is my first marine aquarium and I would appreciate your guidance and advice.

My first point to consider is location: I have a log burner in the corner of the room, along the wall where the tank will be situated. What distance does the tank need to be from it? Is there some heat shielding I should consider for the end of the tank closest to the burner?

Thanks and I will try not to be a spongue for information! but any guidance on tank set ups to consider appreciated as I feel limited by the ranges that are available at my LFS.

Thanks

Richard

I’m not into saltwater, but I would say no.

There’s no way of keeping a constant temperature in the log stove. You would have to keep an eye on it 24/7.

Welcome to the forum.

Build a fire, and use a digital thermometer in the location the tank will be, to see if the heat created reaches the tank area.

Should smoke getting into the water be considered too? I rush to close windows when I smell bonfire lol
I would hope the smoke is vented out of the room with a chimney pipe, lol

I would hope the smoke is vented out of the room with a chimney pipe, lol
If you open the door quickly, it blows back. Smoke can also blow back into the room if the chimney/liner isn't swept regularly or has a nest inside of it. You can get downdraft on a windy way or if you have tall trees around your house also. (I used to install them a few years back ?)

The room is very large, so any smoke which may come out from opening the door is very little and spreads out across the ceiling

If the fire heats the tank you will need to insulate the side and back of the tank to stop the heat warming the water up. You can use polystyrene foam taped onto the outside of the tank, and then cover that with some foil insulation so the foam doesn't melt.

Coral tanks don't tolerate high temperatures and if the water goes above 28C, you can cause the corals to bleach and even die.

Just measured, the distance from the log burner to the edge of the tank would be 1 metre. What distance would you consider a tank needs to be from a conventional radiator?

The temperature variation in the room will be no different to a room with radiators.

With the tank I have now it is in a windowsill and above a radiator I blocked 1/2 the window with black card and the radiator doesn't affect it much (it's in the basement so is very cold and the tank uses a heater

With the tank I have now it is in a windowsill and above a radiator I blocked 1/2 the window with black card and the radiator doesn't affect it much (it's in the basement so is very cold and the tank uses a heater
So I think you'll be fine with the radiator the tank is 6 gall

I'll be going for a big tank! 1.5metre in length - looking at a Red Sear Reefer 625 XXL so that's 625Ltr (165 gal).

But also looking for guidance and other options to consider on tanks selection.

Thanks everyone so far, really appreciate the info and guidance.

The tank will heat up because the room will heat up and if the tank is only 1 meter from the heater, it will heat up quickly.

If you can feel heat coming from the heater, it will heat the aquarium.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back