Fish for cold water tank.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dermot40

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I know this forum is for Tropical fish keepers, but I am considering running my new 200ltr Fluval Roma tank for Fancy Goldfish, when I eventually can get it cycled. With that said can I get any advice on what other fish can I keep at low temp, around 16 C during winter months in room with log burner.
will Danios and rosy barbs survive. What tank cleaning fish will work with this temp. I do not want Pleco. Too big.

There are other fish that are good at 16, but fancy goldfish are best kept on their own because of the enormous amount of waste they produce. A 200 ltr is a good sized tank, but a goldfish is a good sized fish.

You can keep White Cloud Mountain minnows and Bitterlings with small fancy goldfish but I would avoid Danios and barbs (even though they are fine at 16C) because they are too active and might nip at the goldfish. Fancy goldfish with 2 tails can't outrun a barb or Danio and if they got picked on, they would suffer.

There are no bottom dwelling fish suited to that tank for cleaning purposes. A few snails would help with algae but a gravel cleaner and water changes are your best friend when it comes to keeping a goldfish tank clean. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back