Lcc86

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Tried to get a few videos of my tank, unfortunately the cories were nowhere to be seen so its mainly a video of my frogs and snails hanging out at the top!

Tank has been set up for 2 months and I'm happy with how it's going although will be happier when the plants grow in a bit more.

Really, really nice. All looks healthy. Plants doing great. Still think it should come with a "warning, viewer discretion advised". The skull still keeps me up at night. Lovely, really glad you did a short video!

Really, really nice. All looks healthy. Plants doing great. Still think it should come with a "warning, viewer discretion advised". The skull still keeps me up at night. Lovely, really glad you did a short video!
Well I can't get rid of it now or my niece will be upset! At least now I can share a top tip - never let small children pick your aquarium decor!

I got mixed up in my head about fertiliser and was adding a tiny bit of Seachem Excel with each water change but I've realised that I'm an idiot and am adding the wrong thing. Bought some API leaf Zone now so hopefully the growth will continue. Have to remind myself that I still don't really know what I'm doing!

API Leaf Zone contains just two micronutrients, potassium and iron. Plants need a lot more than that. There are 2 products in the UK with almost all the micronutrients - Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement and TNC Lite.

API Leaf Zone contains just two micronutrients, potassium and iron. Plants need a lot more than that. There are 2 products in the UK with almost all the micronutrients - Seachem Flourish Comprehensive Supplement and TNC Lite.
Thanks for the heads up. But that's a bit annoying for unsuspecting customers. I can see on the bottle it says it contains potassium and iron, but the average person would buy that thinking "job done" in terms of fertiliser.

@Lcc86 I use TNC lite. Byron recommended it. I got 250ml for £7.50, if you end up buying it, should last a while, 1ml per 10L per week, so 250ml will last you 6 months, Byron recommended it (i think it was him) because it doesnt build up the nitrate, I think that's what he said @Byron https://www.amazon.co.uk/TNC-Lite-A...ocphy=9046003&hvtargid=pla-421479320549&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I was getting confused with all their different products, which I think is how I ended up with the Excel in the first place (can't really remember, got it months ago), which is why I went for the API this time. I only got a small bottle though so can try either Flourish or TNC Lite next. I did put root tabs in when I first started the tank so the plants have had some ferts at least.

Thanks for the heads up. But that's a bit annoying for unsuspecting customers. I can see on the bottle it says it contains potassium and iron, but the average person would buy that thinking "job done" in terms of fertiliser.

@Lcc86 I use TNC lite. Byron recommended it. I got 250ml for £7.50, if you end up buying it, should last a while, 1ml per 10L per week, so 250ml will last you 6 months, Byron recommended it (i think it was him) because it doesnt build up the nitrate, I think that's what he said @Byron https://www.amazon.co.uk/TNC-Lite-A...ocphy=9046003&hvtargid=pla-421479320549&psc=1
Thanks will try that one when I finish the API 👍

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I completely and totally and unreservedly and without hesitation agree with @Essjay here. As I usually do anyway... :friends:

Iron is a micronutrient, and it can kill plants, fish and bacteria. I over-used it several years ago in one tank, listening to other members on a plant forum, and within a week or two the floating plants began to melt. It was without question the iron, breaking their structure apart.

Flourish Comprehensive Supplement and TNC Lite contain iron but in proportion to everything else. Balance again.

These companies set out to confuse us. Seachem makes several products in the Flourish range but only Comprehensive Supplement contains almost all the micronutrients, and those are in balance with each other as Byron just reminded me.
TNC also make another plant fertiliser but the other one contains nitrogen which we don't need unless we have an under water garden with high lighting and added CO2.

Thanks both, who knew fertiliser could be such a minefield :lol: least I can refer to this thread for a reminder now!

@Byron @Essjay wonder if I could pick your brains on my cories. I have 5 julii cories (3 adults, 2 juveniles), 3 pandas (did buy 5 but 2 died straight away) and 12 pygmies. The pandas and pygmies are always out and about quite happily either alone or in a group, but the julii seem more shy, especially the adults. Is this a "personality trait" of julii cories? I can always add a few more soon but wasn't sure if it would make a noticeable difference. Or is there anything else I can do in terms of tank setup to help them come out more?

Byron is more knowledgeable about cories than me, so take his advice if it's different from mine.

5 should be enough as there are other cory species in the tank, but more would be better. And they are probably not juliis. The fish sold as juliis in shops are really C. trilineatus. It doesn't matter much as they have the same needs, just something to be aware of :)

Byron is more knowledgeable about cories than me, so take his advice if it's different from mine.

5 should be enough as there are other cory species in the tank, but more would be better. And they are probably not juliis. The fish sold as juliis in shops are really C. trilineatus. It doesn't matter much as they have the same needs, just something to be aware of :)
You know I'm not 100% convinced their juliis, but I'd never be able to get a decent pic to post here to check!

I'll see what my LFS has in stock, I like the look of sterbais or venezuelan orange if I can't find any more "julii" or pandas. I only have a 29/30 gallon so can't go crazy but think I have room for a few more.

@AlexT My pygmies are very much enjoying chilling on the skull today :rofl: :D💀

Attachments

• 20230821_185138.jpg
    20230821_185138.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 23

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back