Little Sengal

tahneen

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
ok so i bought this little sengal at my lfs and it was the first time they had them so i had to get one. I had read about them many times but this guy was only small and did nothing i read about he is about 2 inches and all he does is sit on his favorite plant and he is only active when it feeding time the morning or if a fish is bothering him

he can stand his ground but i dont know why hes so lazy plz help :crazy:

Polypterids are like that. All they do is loaf around, with an occasional swim.

At least yours eats when you feed it.....Mine eats only when I'm not around!

not exactly true. mine is swimming almost all the time, especially when it see's me

my Senegal is hardly ever still....She is now smart enough to know who I am compared to others and will happily beg for food when im around yet ignore everyone else :)

What size tank and what else is in said tank with the Seengal?

It's perhaps worth checking that it really is a senegal as well, as although sennys are the most active polyps others are the complete other end of the scale.

My senegal is very active as well, rarely stopping to rest.

im 95 % sure its a sengal and at my lfs it was called a curvier birchir and i knew that thats another name for sengal
he is only 2 inches and the tank is 30g all the other fish leave him alone but there are 2 black neons that pick on him sometimes
he also swims around then floats to the top with his tail hanging
Ill try and get some pics up :rolleyes:

I guess it depends on the personality. Maybe its because you just got it. It might be like that for a little bit. I have one and he is swiming all the time. Love this fish he its everything i put in the tank lol.

im 95 % sure its a sengal and at my lfs it was called a curvier birchir and i knew that thats another name for sengal
he is only 2 inches and the tank is 30g all the other fish leave him alone but there are 2 black neons that pick on him sometimes

Floating at the top is common in juvi Senegals and other upper jaw species. once they get a tad larger they seem to stop doing it. As for the Black Neons, if you feed the Poly a good balanced diet of raw meats, fish, prawns etc and some good quality carnivore pellets (Hikari for example) they will soon dissappear ;)

Floating at the top is common in juvi Senegals and other upper jaw species. once they get a tad larger they seem to stop doing it. As for the Black Neons, if you feed the Poly a good balanced diet of raw meats, fish, prawns etc and some good quality carnivore pellets (Hikari for example) they will soon dissappear ;)

i took the black neons out and put them in a 10g so he should be fine!?!? :good:

Yeah you are right. The three senegals I kept before were all high on the personality marker.

But my little endlicheri isn't doing much for me. So lazy! Takes really long till he eats! At least he eats now; he was the hardest in me getting a polly to eat.

Maybe I'll get a senegal to sooth my senses/replace him. The little gilled snaky obviously isn't trying to make me happy.....

I have several Polypterus species
- P. endlicheri endlicheri swims around a lot when the lights are off, but doesnt move too much during the day.
- P. delhezi some days doesnt stop moving other days he hides been the bog wood in the tank
- P. senegalus one of them doesnt swim about too much until its dark, and the other is active all day

I've had 3 P. senegalus over the past years and each has been different, some will take food from my hand others wont. its all down to personality of the fish itself not the species. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back