Linking Two Aquariums Via Two External Filters?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

howard_hopkinson

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have two aquariums, one 240ltr and one 143ltr, both have their own external filters. Both filters have the same working output of 750l/h.

I was thinking that maybe I could link my aquariums together by taking the output of one filter and placing it in the other aquarium, then taking the output of that aquarium filter and putting into the first aquarium.

I realise that one disadvantage would be that if an aquarium were to become infected, then so would the other and I would end up having to treat both aquariums.

However, I was thinking that the stability chemically of both aquariums would be enhanced and the water would be double filtered. I realise that I would need to make sure the temperatures of both aquariums were exactly the same. Assuming I can do this, is this a really stupid idea?

I'd like to hear as many opinions as possible, before I decide whether to go ahead or not.

i dont get why you want to do i it. wouldnt it be asyer because if one gets infected it will spread so i dont she how it would make it any better.

agree with kizno, not sure what the point would be running 2 externals with the same output crossed over into 2 tanks......... :unsure: surely it would make no difference what so ever...........!!!! i would just use 1 external on each unless 1 needs to be seeded then run it along the mature 1 :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I can see your logic as I have contemplated it myself but the factor that put me off was the possibility that (dependant on the nature of the fish in each aquarium) one of the filters media may clog quicker and therefore reduce the flow rate. That way water could be pumped into one tank quicker than it is returned - possibly leading to a wet floor!
This would probably only happen if you had messy fish such as Oscars in one tank & less waste producing fish in another - tetras etc. Obviously filter maintenance would be another factor, you probably wouldnt have a problem if you replace the fine floss pads frequently but overall its probably not worth the risk / hassle!

surely it would make no difference what so ever...........!!!!

Well it would make a difference in that the water would be circulated between both aquariums and it would be filtered by both filters.

I can see your logic as I have contemplated it myself but the factor that put me off was the possibility that (dependant on the nature of the fish in each aquarium) one of the filters media may clog quicker and therefore reduce the flow rate. That way water could be pumped into one tank quicker than it is returned - possibly leading to a wet floor!
This would probably only happen if you had messy fish such as Oscars in one tank & less waste producing fish in another - tetras etc. Obviously filter maintenance would be another factor, you probably wouldnt have a problem if you replace the fine floss pads frequently but overall its probably not worth the risk / hassle!

Excellent points there and something I hadn't thought of.

Thanks very much.

I was going to mention the risk of flooding if one filter clogged or stopped. Now if you had drilled tanks and a common sump which each external fed from then you may be ok, but that's way more complicated and expensive than just crossing over the filter pipework.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back