Lily Rose's 64L Tank Cycle

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
hi guys, this evenings results are
ammonia 1
nitrites 1
nitrates 20
pH 8.2
lots of brown spots on glass and stones?

Probably diatoms (brown algae)... Its much easier for brown algae to go away after cycling is over because even though the light will still be there, the trace ammonia that triggers the diatom spores will be less in evidence.

There are several things in my mind (and I consider myself to be still learning this) that can serve to have an impact on algaes like brown algae.

1. Good filter flow (amount of turnover in the tank) will give the bacteria more attempts at processing the ammonia because it will be pulled past them more times per hour.

2. Good tank circulation (many larger tanks use extra powerheads to assist in water circulation out in the tank) will reduce the number of "dead pockets" where water doesn't move and ammonia can hide (a good example of these is usually in the corners between substrate and tank glass - if you see brown algae there you are getting to see an example of a dead pocket!

3. Healthy plant growth (actual increase in plant size, not plants just being there) can help in the sense that plants will use some of the ammonia in the tank. A large volume of plant mass can have quite an impact.

4. Light balance (the balance between too little for plant needs versus excess being available such that algae stimulated) is of course the major player. Figuring out the minimum brightness and time periods for healthy plant growth is the number one tool in algae avoidance I believe (at least at my particular stage of learning :lol: )

Note that all of these are just subheadings under the basic truism that "Light + Ammonia = Algae" that our planted experts like to remind us of when the periodic newcomers come along and insert the old myths about algae ("to much Phosphorus" (this is not true, P is a needed plant nutrient and does not stimulate algae when used properly) and other myths..)

~~waterdrop~~ :)

thanks. my other tank has it too and there is a
0ppm
reading for ammonia
on that tank 90L
btw bought another tank.....48L

my husband said "no more!" so there we go...no more.
my hobbys tend to cost a bit!
I shall post a photo of the new 48L in the Bettas section if you want to look

ammonia ( at 6pm) 0
nitrites ( at 6pm) 0
Nitrates 10ppm
added ammonia 3ml at 6pm

Aren't these international forums a weird thing sometimes? Here I am cooking rice for the boys dinner and I'm reading your 6pm results but it 1am over there where you are! Bravo to you for actually giving your husband some say :lol: ...Let's see (long pause while waterdrop tries to figure out which the heck lilyrose tank it is this time and which type of cycle..) Oh, yes, fishless cycle that's dropping to zeros, can't be bad at least :good:

LOL, wd
this mornings results
ammonia 1
nitrites 5
nitrates 10
pH 8.2

sorry for late post
tuesday results ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 20 , but tests were taken late as we were out for my boys birthday today.

This mornings results
ammonia 1
nitrites 5
nitrates 20
pH 8.2

this evenings results
ammonia 0
nitrites .25
nitrates 40
pH 8.2

added 3ml ammonia

Interesting, hard to tell if nitrite(NO2) is going to spike again for if its just had the one short spike because it was a bit of a "restart." Just don't know... WD

It looks to me as if you are making good progress LilyRose. Keep things going and you should get to the end of this fairly soon, maybe within a week or two. I love that you actually listen to your "significant other". It is something that doesn't happen in my house because I am "obsessed" with my fish.

Well I respect his opinion. I have set up 3 tanks in the last 2 months.besides,we have no more room!

this morning results
ammonia 1
nitrites 5
nitrates 80
pH 8.2

this evenings results (18th feb)
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
Nitrates 160
pH 8

performed full waterchange, and reload with dechlorinator, and ammonis to ensure high nitrate level isnt inhibiting the bacteria

this mornings results

ammonia 1
nitrite .25
nitrate 10
pH 7.4

this evenings results
ammonia .25
nitrite 0
pH 7.4

how come this up and down thing isnt settling...will this tank ever be cycled?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back