Lights For 2.5 Gallon Tank

killudead

Fish Crazy
Joined
Nov 15, 2008
Messages
292
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
USA
any tips or ideas. I know that petco has a tube light for around 30 bucks. I would rather see if i can get a clip light. I have seen them in some photos of members tanks. But i need some advice. I went to a local walmart and they did not have anything that looked good.

the tank is 2.5 gallon and holds blue pearl and crs shrimp and some java moss. Not a real need for a ton of light, but i have noticed that when the shrimp are under brighter light, their shell color really comes out. must be the vitamin D..
Right now i have a light that gives about 1.5wpg but i am not sure if that is the best option.
It goes to a 2 gallon kit my mother had.
 
If you have 1.5WPG, I would leave it at that.

Vitamin D has nothing to d with it, it will just be the brightness.

Vitamin D is synthesised in many organisms using the UVB output from daylight, but to get this effect from lighting you have to buy special UVB tubes - like those for reptiles. Even then a lot of that UVB wont make it through the water to the shrimp, and even if it did, the difference would be negligible, since they will already be feeding on an excess of Vitamin D as long as you are feeding shrimp and/or fish food.

For people to advise you, you need to mention the type of lighting (such as T5 or T8), wattage, whether you are using reflecotors etc...

But remember, the more light you use with any plants, the higher the CO2 demand, and the more likely algae is going to take over unless you supply that CO2.
 
If you have 1.5WPG, I would leave it at that.

Vitamin D has nothing to d with it, it will just be the brightness.

Vitamin D is synthesised in many organisms using the UVB output from daylight, but to get this effect from lighting you have to buy special UVB tubes - like those for reptiles. Even then a lot of that UVB wont make it through the water to the shrimp, and even if it did, the difference would be negligible, since they will already be feeding on an excess of Vitamin D as long as you are feeding shrimp and/or fish food.

For people to advise you, you need to mention the type of lighting (such as T5 or T8), wattage, whether you are using reflecotors etc...

But remember, the more light you use with any plants, the higher the CO2 demand, and the more likely algae is going to take over unless you supply that CO2.

i was just tossing the vit. d thing out there. no biggie. it is a very small light. I will post a pic.
Not really interested in a planted tank. this is just a holding tank. I think i am going to move the light around on it and see if it gets any better. Perhaps a brighter substrate would make the difference. I will keep playing and keep posting...
thanks
 

Most reactions

Back
Top