LIGHTING TROUBLE

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jkeylounatic

Reaction score
For reasons im not sure of everytime i switch on my flourescent hood light my fish particularly my 3 black skirt tetras and my dwarf gourami, Freak out. They swim very fast in all dirrections and the black skirts lose thier color. I am distressed over this because i have live plants that need this light but i am afriad of what is happening to my fish. Please help.

also, my gourami is new to the tank and i am wondering if it is normal that he seems to be gasping for air underwater, i know that there is a sufficient supply of oxygen, and maybe this is a sign of stress, looking for any answers. :dunno:

Is he gasping, or taking gulps of air with his labyrinth organ? Maybe the tetras stress him a bit, is there any chasing going on, or anything?

As for your lights, you could get two strips with duller bulbs (equalling your current wattage together) and put them on timers, so one comes on and then the other. Maybe gradual lighting will help if you're that worried about it. Perhaps tilt the light a bit when you flip it on. Or try feeding them at the same moment that you turn on the lights. They'll want to run away but maybe food will make them stick around, and they'll eventually overcome their fear.

I'm sure other folks will have some suggestions. Good luck!

I would add a timer to the lights as they may be getting stressed by you hovering over the tank when you turn it on. Also floating plants are great as they block out some of the light. If you can't get floating plants, get some which will grow tall and go across the surface a bit. I have some lilys in my biggest tank and they block out loads of light which my clown loaches love. I see them out more since i put the plants in, Nymphaea stellata is the variety i have.

Hope this helps

Emma

thanks, i think it is the shock of the lights actually going on and it being so bright all of the sudden, also its kind of new to the tetras as they really havent had lights on them before and they are the ones who really seem to react. I'll see about the timer and such i think that will help out, I just dont want my fish hurting themselves when they stress out. Floating plants sound like a great idea too.

as for the gourami, he isnt being chased or anything and he seems tobe calming down, i think he just needs to get used to the tank.

yeah man haha that was freaky when they all went crazy, my fish flip a little sometimes too.

Most fish will get startled with sudden light. Make sure your room lights are illuminating the tank before the tank lights go on, so it is not so much of a shock to them. Floating plants are a great cure too, as well as helping keep nitrates down. You will need to stay on top of the pruning though, some are quite prolific :)

Most reactions

trending

Back