Lighting Help Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KimA

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,

I've currently got x2 Hagen Power-Glo's (25w 18000K) running on my Juwel Vision 180 (40 gal) - the tank's currently lightly planted with Apongeton, Java Fern, Amazon Swords and Anubis (waiting on Giant Vallis and Crypt to arrive from Greenline).

I'm not running CO2 - but adding Seachem's Flourish weekly and Flourish Excel every other day with some TetraPlant PlantMin every 4 weeks - all plants to date are doing okay and growing nicely.

Personally, after reading some of the pinned topics on here (in particular George Farmer's one on lighting), I think these tubes are far too bright/too much blue? - so am thinking of switching over to Interpet's Daylight Plus and Tri Plus instead, but would like some opinions as to whether these would be suitable please.

Also, what would be a good carpeting plant for the tank? (it has a fine black gravel)

Sorry if I've missed anything.

Thanks
Kim :good:

Not overly sure about the lighting, I don't believe half the K ratings on them but I know that around 6500K is supposed to be the ideal.

Just reading you use Flourish Excel, and you are getting a val. This is the warning on all vals on www.plantgeek.net:

***Special note*** This plant seems to be sensitive to Flourish Excel, to the point it "melts" completely off if given enough.

Not overly sure about the lighting, I don't believe half the K ratings on them but I know that around 6500K is supposed to be the ideal.

Just reading you use Flourish Excel, and you are getting a val. This is the warning on all vals on www.plantgeek.net:

***Special note*** This plant seems to be sensitive to Flourish Excel, to the point it "melts" completely off if given enough.

Okay, thanks for that :good:

The bulbs you list look much more promising in my opinion - I would definetly give them a shot, as I think they would perform much better than the ones you are using now for any planted tank.

~ Wonderboy!

The bulbs you list look much more promising in my opinion - I would definetly give them a shot, as I think they would perform much better than the ones you are using now for any planted tank.

~ Wonderboy!

Thanks - will hopefully be able to get them from my lfs this afternoon :)

A mix of Daylight Plus and Triplus should give you good results, especially when it comes to giving the tank a nice colour rendition. I don`t have any real experience of other lights, but I know the T5s I use are excellent.

A mix of Daylight Plus and Triplus should give you good results, especially when it comes to giving the tank a nice colour rendition. I don`t have any real experience of other lights, but I know the T5s I use are excellent.

Great - which way round would you put them? or is it just a case of try it and see what you prefer?

Try and see :)

I have a power glo 18000 k and to be honest if anything it looks pink to me which is completely wrong, so I would forget the K rating of the tubes and gets ones designed for plants, the daylight and triplus and both excellent tube, as are the Arcadia freshwater tubes. Plants will adapt to a wide range of lighting conditions.

BTW that excel warning goes for hornwort and riccia as well IME

Sam

I put the Triplus a the back simply because it is designed for plant growth, and the back of my tank is where the majority of the plant mass is.

BTW that excel warning goes for hornwort and riccia as well IME

Sam

I'll keep a look out for that, I've been triple dosing for 3 weeks to try and get rid of some filamentous algae (not sure if its made much difference) But my crypts seem to love it- the leaves look really healthy. I pus some riccia in a week or so ago and its just beginning to grow beyond the net-I also got some other stuff similar (and for the life of me I can't remember what its called) supposed to be easier to grow-looks much the same as the day it went in!

Alan

Thank you everyone - I've managed to get 2 Interpet Tri-Plus, but only 1 Interpet Daylight Plus (another ordered in for next week). In the meantime I've put the Juwel Daylite (25w) bulb on the front of the other tank - would this be sufficient permanently, or should I still get the other Interpet Daylight Plus?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back