Less than 1 gal. tanks **For Bettas!!!!!**

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

In my LPS, they keep bettas in bowlsthat are about 3in X 3in X 3in, or they just float them in little bags in a tank. All of them look dead. :( :( :angry:

at my lfs they are all kept in a three crowded shelves, in the dark, in small bowls...
i feel bad for the ones all the way in the back of the rows

A family run pet store nearish to me keeps thier bettas in tiny wall tanks. While they are small, they have room to swim around. They look lively and colorfull. much better than big box petstores closer to me with their dying bettas in those little cups.

I really dislike all of the small containers Bettas live in. So many people think that because they live in small pockets fo water in the wild ( Which they don't, they live in rice patty fields, and only live in the small pockets of water when there is a drought.), that they would "want" to live in small cups. Smallest size of tank in my opinion is a 2.5 gallon tank. Even better would be a 5 agleam,a dn even still better, a 10 gallon. I am blessed to have a very good LFS, about 15 from my house. Their bettas live in heavenly planted 1.5 gallon tanks, and are very healthy. This is just my opinion on this subject. :)

All the non-bigbox LFS are an hour away from where I live. Petco is 30 minutes. I sent more pictures on my betta thread. Hopefully they've shown up

It's good that they're taken proper care of. I have thought about planting my betta's tank but it's kind of daunting and plants are not very cheap. I also find it harder to research them as opposed to quarium animals. I can research the care of an aquatic animal i have no interest in acctually keeping and be perfectly entertained. With plants, not so much. What plants would you use in a 5 gallon betta setup with sand substrate? I met someone at a library event and I asked about her fish. She said she had bettas in bowls. I said thay they need more room and she, of course, responds with "acctually, they like small spaces. They freak out if there's more":dunno:

It depends on if you are going to use root tabs, or a liquid fertilizer.

Here is a list of "easy" the grow plants....

• Anacharis
  • Java Fern
  • Anubias
  • Dwarf Hair Grass
  • Crypts
This is just a very beginner list. Plant #2, and #3 are both grown on driftwood and rocks, not in the substrate.

There is a plant called "Moss balls" (not actually a moss, am aglae to be specific.) and these are very easy to grow. just stick it I the tank, and boom!! You have a moss ball! :lol:

I agree with that one! Plants are very expensive, but in the long run, they help your tank to look better, and to be better. :)

(If you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask!) :)

I have a moss ball in there currently.
1. What in the world are root tabs?
2. In the axolotl tank I have a java fern in the substrate with nothing I can attatch it to. Do they have rhizomes?

1. Root tabs are just pieces of specially made substances, that tremendously help out plants, in. their growth. :)

2. Java Fern do have Rhizomes, and they don't grow very well under the substrate. You can pretty much attach it to anything, do you have a rock, piece of decor, of driftwood? :)

Java Moss does best attached to a peice of driftwood, or a rock. It is very easy to growth, and doesn't require that much light. :)

Last edited:
Root tabs are fertiliser in the form of a tablet which is pushed into the substrate near the plant roots.

Java fern has a rhizome. It's the thick stem that the leaves are attached to. The roots are the thin hair like things that are attached to the other side of the rhizome. The rhizome will rot if covered, but the roots are OK in the substrate. Java fern is usually attached to a rock, piece of wood, plastic 'dead tree trunk' etc to stop the rhizome getting accidentally covered.

Java moss is usually grown on something. Mosses don't have proper roots.

I have a large driftwood-esque ornament but with the way it is the fern will be too big. IMG_1414.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back