Leaking Tank Leads To New Beginnings

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Robbo85

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So woke up to leaking tank this morning , must be a seal leaked or a crack I can't see but water is coming from all sides slowly and dripping on the floor. As my Jewel rio 125 is 11 years old and was bought second hand, rather than trying to find the cause and repair I'm gonna replace it with a fluval Vicenza 180 as I was thinking of an upgrade anyway.

So it's bye bye Rio 125 and tanks for the memories,

Once my new aquarium arrives I'm going to write a blog on setting it up.
I've never completely moved from one tank to another before so any suggestions and advice is welcome.

Will be transferring my 10 cardinals 3 golden barbs 2 Apistogramma Nijsseni 4 panda corys and a big pleco.

I have tried to go for a Amazon biotope and will be carrying that on but this time I will be adding some gravel around the back and sides with sand at the front.

Will post some pics when the new tank arrives . image.jpgimage.jpg

Really impressed with Seapets customer service so far.

order tank Saturday night but shipping office doesn't open until 0900 on Monday, by 10.30 they have called me and left an answer phone message and sent me an email to arrange delivery for tomorrow afternoon. Pretty good when shipping is free and it was the cheapest site for this tank.

now to my question,

this new tank comes with a fluval external 205 canister filter which is the same external filter I have on my current tank. Should I just connect up my current filter, this should help in the transition right?

my 205 is quite a bit older than the one coming with the tank, will all the connections fit?

I personally would run both filters but if you just want one transfer your old filter media into new one.

gmc1 said:
I personally would run both filters but if you just want one transfer your old filter media into new one.
I Did think about doing this but one of the features on my new tank is that all the plumbing runs through the bottom of the tank so pipes aren't running on the outside and I wont have to cut a hole in the hood.

if all fits together I was thinking about running my old filter for a few weeks then changing to the new one adding some of the old media into the new filter, the thinking being its not changing all the equipment at once but once up and running changing to the newer and presumably better filter version.

Just put the old filter media in the new filter and you are good to go :)

Well Seapets were brilliant again , great customer service and the delivery guy took the tank inside the house and helped my wife check there was no damage.

The tank has some nice little touch's like movable clips on the hood to hide cables but the cabinet was frustrating to put together due to the very basic instruction manual. Because of this and some other issues I didn't finish setting up the new aquarium until 1 this morning and I forgot to take photos of the process but I will add some tonight.

Now all up and running though a little murky and need of a rescape, got some plants coming.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 185
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 197
added some more plants

IMG_2866.JPG
IMG_2863.JPG
IMG_2864.JPG
IMG_2865.JPG
IMG_2862.JPG

can anyone ID this plant please.

Absolutous beautifalus? Lol, I don't really know. But that tank is so pretty.

Is there a South American fish that is community suitable but bigger than a couple of inches ?

I'm gonna increase my my cardinals and panda cories and get a group of hatchet fish as the top looks a bit bare but all those fish are quite small, is there something slightly bigger that would work?

A single Bolivian ram would be good I think.How softs your water.mine is around three inches.
I have never kept the apistos you have so not sure of compatability with them though.

gmc1 said:
A single Bolivian ram would be good I think.How softs your water.mine is around three inches.
I have never kept the apistos you have so not sure of compatability with them though.
It's quite hard, around 14 dh from the tap, I don't have a softness test . Ph 6.6

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back