L397 male or female?

MullyJully

New Member
Joined
May 31, 2022
Messages
6
Reaction score
7
Points
3
Location
London
I bought a couple of these beauties in November 2020 with the intention of eventually breeding them. They were very young at the time, not sure on age, but they were just under 2 inches long. Sadly one of them died a month or so later. I found it with its head buried between a rock and a large bit of wood, with the other when sitting a few inches beside it. I assume it just got stuck, but I'm also wondering if it could have been stress related? I know pleco can be territorial, so I'm just wondering if that has something to do with it...
Anyway, the one I still have has been living in my 350L community tank. I don't see it often, only every now and then when the lights are off, and I've dropped in some veg for it to munch on. I've taken it out the tank today to take some pictures as I was gonna post it online to sell be ause I wanted to put some young bristlenose in the tank to grow out. After getting a closer look at how beautiful this fish is, I've decided I want to keep it, and maybe have a go at breeding it.
I've attached some pictures, hoping someone will be able to tell me whether it's a male or female, or maybe advise me on how I can ide tify the sex.
 

Attachments

  • 20220816_111823.webp
    20220816_111823.webp
    46.2 KB · Views: 444
  • 20220816_111829.webp
    20220816_111829.webp
    133 KB · Views: 312
  • 20220816_111833.webp
    20220816_111833.webp
    114.7 KB · Views: 323
  • 20220816_112811.webp
    20220816_112811.webp
    84.1 KB · Views: 336
  • 20220816_112831.webp
    20220816_112831.webp
    43.4 KB · Views: 304
  • 20220816_112845.webp
    20220816_112845.webp
    105.9 KB · Views: 327
Well, it has something to do with their vents,
A mature female vent will have a slight yellow tinge around the area it seems, here is a link with some more info.
Beautiful specimen you have there btw.
 
Last edited:
Nice Pleco
please consider entering it in our present Fish of the Month contest which is now featuring Plecos.
 
Well, it has something to do with their vents,
A mature female vent will have a slight yellow tinge around the area it seems, here is a link with some more info.
Beautiful specimen you have there btw.
Thanks! I'll have to take a closer look. I'm still a little nervous about handling pleco though 😬
 
If you enter, read the rules on the entry thread.
 
Thanks! I'll have to take a closer look. I'm still a little nervous about handling pleco though 😬
My pleasure, they can get a bit prickly when scared, but maybe try getting it in a transparent container and looking at it from underneath, idk
Good luck!!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top