L.signatus

Xxzsdrklakdfj

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi i currently have fry from a previous spawn of my L. signatus that are about 1/3-1/2in. I just noticed 5 or so fry last night in front of the females shell and several more on the inside lip of the shell. Should I be worried about the larger fry attacking and killing the small fry, or the adults attacking the and killing the old fry to defend the new???I'm asking this because last time they bred there was atleast 20fry and this time the number is much smaller and i'm wondering what happened. What should I do if anything?

Thanks,
-"letters"

BTW
this is a 10 gal. tank w/ nothing but one pair and it's family.

is there only one shell in the tank? sometimes they will, after fertilizing the eggs, take several of the eggs or wrigglers and deposit them in small groups in several other shells. like nursery pits that many cichlids will use to ensure that all of the fry are not eaten. they usually have about 20-25 eggs at a spawn. it is not uncommon for only 15 or so of them to make it. some are unfertilized and eaten.

hth

maggie

Letters,
It could be just a smaller spawn this time around. Shellies are not known for cannabalism, but in the confines of a 10 gallon it could happen!!

If possible, a 15 or 20 long would be a better choice for these fish.

After a few more spawns, the tank will be at it's limit so you will have to make arrangements for the larger fry anyway!!!

CM

Thanks semper fi & CM,

i have about 8 shells in the tank and i'm pretty sure there isn't any smaller fry in any other shells, It's just the 7 or so in a pit dug between the male and females shells.

ya i know if i let them all grow up that tank would be very crowded but i can sell the larger batch in prob 3 weeks. And i have noticed now that the small fry and the large fry swim all around eachother and eat and what not and the larger ones never bother the smaller ones at all.

Thanks,
-"letters"

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back