Krib Babiesss! :)

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Gidge

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Helllooo.

So I have some babies. It's all very exciting!
Got a few pictures for you.
Sorry they're not the best, had to use my phone, and unfortunately Mum and Dad weren't real coloured up.
I just love how the pick up the run aways and plop them with the rest of the group. So good to watch.

By the way. I have no idea what I'm doing. I usually just let nature take its course. But any tips to help survival would be great:)

23012012646.jpg

23012012645.jpg

23012012641.jpg

23012012637.jpg

23012012635.jpg

Very nice!
I would leave the kribs to it.

i used to drop food on their heads using a pipette, but gave up after a while and just let them get on with it themselves, they find food, even if you think there isnt much in the tank.

I dropped a couple shrimp pellets (Corys food :))near where they were hovering around. A little while later they came back when the pellets went soggy, and were attacking it like crazy. Bit of extra food for them :)

I really hope some survive, or all of them! The first batch they had, didnt last. I think they got eaten :(
But at the moment I can count 15, although yesterday it seemed like there were 100's!!

Thanks for thr advice!

Im my community tank mine fry count went from about 70 to 50 to 30 to 15 over the space of a week. Used to end up with about 4/5 fry at the end. depends how many other fish will predate on them really.

Ohh that sucks! I was thinking of taking them out, but I don't have another tank to put them in, which is a shame. And I don't really want to keep them in a breeding trap.
Guess we'll see how the new parents go at protecting them this time around!

I just love how they take them out for little excursions. So cute. And whenever something swims over head, all the babies suddenly go dead still and drop to the floor, while papabear or mummabear go and chase away the intruder. So awesome to watch :D

congrats :good: Check out my krib breeding journal http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/383930-kribensis-breeding-journal/

The adult kribs will care for the fry for a week or two but after that they will be on their own. If you have many other fish in the tank, the fry will simply not make it. Feeding new born egg layers, like kribs,is what makes breeding them harder than breeding livebearers. Newly hatched eggs are very small and microscopic food needs to be supplied if you want survival. Once the egg sac is gone, the fry must find food. Microworms make a decent first food for newly hatched fry. My daughter raised a few hundred severum fry on a batch of microworms that I gave her. By the time she exhausted the microworm cultures, the fry were big enough to eat baby brine shrimp. After that feeding became much easier.

i've used decapped brine shrimp eggs for my egg born fry, works quite well, can only assume its very small!

Will the parents flip out if I separate them now??

probably have a go at you yeah :) They will generally go "oh, the babies are gone, lets go spawn again".

Oh okay. I was thinking maybe they would get super agro and attack everything.

If anything mine chilled out. Hard to tell what will happen though. Personally iw ould just leave them to it, let nature take its course.

Yeh, i'm debating with myself what to do. There are only 8 left today. I just realllllly want them to survive haha.

Yeh, i'm debating with myself what to do. There are only 8 left today. I just realllllly want them to survive haha.

Kribs breed like mad, if this lot dont make it, you will see another lot within a few weeks. :)

Most reactions

Back