Killifish Murder?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rex740

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have heard killifish eat neons and other fish at that size. Is this true????

That depends on the Killifish species in question. If you are refering to Aplochelius lineatus (gold) then yes they will eat neons and any other small prey. They are predators by nature and have a very large cavernous mouth.
#
BigC

i bought it! Only 2 inch, not harming neons bcause neons hang out on bottom of my tank. guppy is too big for him also.

But it will grow bigger... Then it will be able to eat the smaller fish...

all i have that it can eat is a feeder guppy which i got for free that alrdy dont look so good probably cause the beta, and 3 neons that are always at the bottom and 1 or 2 are going through the phases of neon disease. Will they killi eat platys???or cherry barbs????????

Don't matter if the prey is top. middle sor bottom. Rest assured Aplochelius lineatus will make a meal of them at one stage. I would say Platties would be a little on the large side but if the cherry barbs are small then I suggest they would be at risk. You say your fish is only 2" at present, at that size they will not pose a threat especially if they are well fed on frozen and flake foods, but as they get larger then sure as eggs are eggs the neons will disappear.
Regards
BigC

oooohhhhh nnnnooo. I have 2 killies. Both male. Planning on moving one male and getting a female or getting two female. Both are currently about 2 inches and are always swimming together. But it seems I've made the terrible mistake of housing 3 rummynose tetras w/ them. And my killies travel all over the tank not just the top. :crazy: Good luck w/ yours rex740.

if he grows bigger i may take him back, ill see how big his mouth opens when he eats flakes (no live food for him), and i will keep track if he ever gets aggressive.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back