Killies In The Cupboard

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Just a little update;
The whole set-up is now brimming with fish fry, so much so I've stopped collecting elberti eggs for the time being. Hoping to sell some on the forum GB Livestock section soon.
Below is the system as it presently stands with a wide range of Livefoods being cultured.

Picture805.jpg

Please excuse the mess to the right, possible room for expansion in that space. :rolleyes:

As most of you who follow these threads will be aware by now that my beloved Riv. xiphidius arrived from Spain none the worse for wear albeit they were held up for two whole weeks in transit.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=307527
Here follows some pics after they had settled in and started to produce eggs. The water is very very soft 2'dKH with a pH 5.5.

Picture766.jpg
Picture785.jpg

Picture783.jpg
Picture796.jpg

Picture792.jpg
Picture808.jpg

I hope you enjoy the pics.
Regards
C

looks good big c

my lfs has some Aphanius mento are they killis as they look like them

they also have some Nothobranchius guentheri are they killis

my lfs has some Aphanius mento are they killis as they look like them
they also have some Nothobranchius guentheri are they killis
Correct on both counts bae,
The A. mento is a European killifish and will require hard water and a little salt added whilst the Notho hails from Africa and is an annual species.
ATB
C

I know.....I said....and I promised I wouldn't :rolleyes:

but my wife's away to visit her folks on the mainland and I was bored so.......... :hey:

Picture017-2.jpg

Ain't MTS and the smell of curing silicone a wonderful thing! :lol:

I knocked up a couple more wee glass boxes to add to the collection
18 x 10 x 12 (9.35 US gallons or 7.79 UK Gallons or 35.4 litres)

They still need sealing and finishing off with cover glasses etc. I will post pics later of the proposed location for the two new additions

Why is one tank never enough! answers on a postcard please. :lol:
ATB
C

dont even talk about mts lol ive just brought a 766 gallon and now im building a 1 gallon pico lol

also cant wait for pictures

Well what with one thing or another I didn't manage to get the Cabinet Re-shuffle finished this weekend as planned (blame the kids). I did just manage to get the two new tanks sealed, cleaned up and finished off. A little bit of re-wiring and we are good to go sometime this week.

SDC11438.jpg
SDC11441.jpg

The finished tanks complete with sliding cover-glass ready to be installed.

This will give me a little more room not to mention some better options when it comes to fry rearing.

ATB
C

This is an idea that would be great for rearing any fry. I hope to get my little Brother's cabinet and place a tank or 2 in it.

GONE!
is the 18x12x12 tank from the bottom section and it has been replaced with the two 18x10x12 end on tanks I made earlier. The Cabinet Re-shuffle is by no means finished yet but the sixty odd Aphyosemion bualanum N'tui fry seem to enjoy their new aquaria. I plan to split these over the weekend between the two tanks.

SDC11446.jpg

but all is not lost the original 18x12x12 will be re-housed in the neighboring 500mm base unit. Although this unit was not originally intended to hold a batch of tanks it is being pressed into use for more rearing aquaria. I will need to insulate this in the same way as the adjoining larder unit and kitted out with heating and lighting.

SDC11447.jpg

I feel its wasted storage space so out went all the odds n sods like nets, test-kits and monitoring equipment. They have been dispatched to a brand new storage trolley. This is a real handy piece of storage. Although made from the dreaded plastic it is surprisingly sturdy.

storagetrolley.jpg

As you can see the whole set-up is evolving all the time,

SDC11445-1.jpg
SDC11449.jpg

who knows where it will all end up. :rolleyes: :lol:

ATB
C

looks real good

This is just lovely!

Would like to have such a setup!!
(will come in time I guess)

any update on more changes, BigC?

wow. great thread.

I have started to breed notho 98 and just couldnt find anyone on internet with experience in breeding killies and now i hit the motherload here. :D

Colin, please accept me as your disciple :) , i have small journal going and was wondering how to make a good biotope etc later on the fry are just 2-3 week old.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=323420&st=0 .

Welcome anshuman, no need to be a disciple my son, we are all on a learning path, the more knowledge shared the better.
I've read your thread, welcome onboard, N. rachovi aren't the easiest of species to rear so well done on that score.
I have bred this strain many many times in the past and I can still remember my first time as I lost a full batch (100 or more) through ignorance and not having the proper food ready.
Hope you stick around and keep us posted with how the fry progress.
ATB
C

Well what with one thing or another I didn't manage to get the Cabinet Re-shuffle finished this weekend as planned (blame the kids). I did just manage to get the two new tanks sealed, cleaned up and finished off. A little bit of re-wiring and we are good to go sometime this week.

SDC11438.jpg
SDC11441.jpg

The finished tanks complete with sliding cover-glass ready to be installed.

This will give me a little more room not to mention some better options when it comes to fry rearing.

ATB
C

How do you install these sliding cover-glasses? Can you buy the kit somewhere, or do you make them yourselves?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back