Kids Right's, Fish Rights...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
After thread another thread i thought good but unfortunately off-topic topic was raised on it, and was probably be best in a thread of its own instead of highjacking another thread;

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=156036

In certain area's across the world it is illegal to sell an individual under 16 years of age to buy a live animal like a fish unless the individual is accompanied by an adult.
I know that this law is certainly practised where i live as i have been asked for ID in the past before when buying fish (only once though).
I am suprised on how much of a difference of opinions on this subject, with some people argueing that a young teenager or child is perfectly capable of looking after an animal by themselves, while others argue that most under 16 year olds are not mature enough to undertake and fully comprehend the responsabilities of looking after a live animal by themselves.

Personally i have no issues with this law; like most things in life, i believe being able to buy a live animal is a "privilage" and not a "right"- you have to be old enough to have it, otherwise you are not entitled to it.

I have known many under 16's who were fully capable of looking after their own pets responsably, while others did not all. I have also known plenty of adults to not look after their animals properly.
But generally speaking, if i had to put my trust in an adult looking after my fish or a 14 year old kid doing it, i would prefer an adult to so.

What are your opinions on this?

I started fishkeeping when I was just 11 years old, and I am now 16. I got extremely annoyed however that the law was in force stating I couldnt purchase livestock when i was under 16..

I understand many under 16's would abuse this and by the animals for a cheap laugh, but then again, people like me are perfectly capable of raising and caring for a fish, or indeed any other animal in my opinion.

Luckily, I got on great with one of my LFS, and he trusted me. Although the choice wasn't great there.. when the shop was quiet he was happy to serve me, partly because he spoke to my mother occasionally too.

YES

im 16 and have been keeping fish for 2 years. if people really want fish they are going to look after them, especially after going to the cost of the equipement.

Couple places around here wont sell to you unless you are 18+..

One place asked me if I was 16... actually I'm 20.. but thanks for the insult!

I think most of the peopla agreeing are over 16 lol

However, I think it is stupid, but there is no way we can see who is a good fishkeeper and who isn't. A 17 year old or whatever might find it enjoyable to do 'awesome' stunts involving cheap fish :(

I also have seen lots of teenage (17+) girls (no offence, it's just what I've seen) see a goldfish bowl, say 'so cute', buy about 4 goldies and leave the store.

It's a shame that age is used to seperate good from bad but I can't think of a better way.

It is annoying when I want to buy something and my grandma isn't there though... but usually she is as she drops me off lol

Over here I don't think there is such a law , or else it certainly isn't enforced .
Either way I think it's a load of rubbish , I'm 15 and I know more than the people working at the place .
Besides , its adults not youths who I see on tv swallowing goldfish and puking them out ...............

When i was younger i remember buying mice. I had to get a letter from my parents or they had to be with me to buy it. So why shouldnt it be the same for fish?

If there was a law on fish, what would they give away as prizes at fairs? :p

Even if there was a law against it, it wouldnt suprise me if most fish shops didnt adhere to it. After all, most places will tell you any old rubbish just to get you to buy the fish.

I think most of the peopla agreeing are over 16 lol

However, I think it is stupid, but there is no way we can see who is a good fishkeeper and who isn't. A 17 year old or whatever might find it enjoyable to do 'awesome' stunts involving cheap fish :(

I also have seen lots of teenage (17+) girls (no offence, it's just what I've seen) see a goldfish bowl, say 'so cute', buy about 4 goldies and leave the store.

It's a shame that age is used to seperate good from bad but I can't think of a better way.

It is annoying when I want to buy something and my grandma isn't there though... but usually she is as she drops me off lol

Yeah but on the other hand, i can't remember the amount of times i've gone to a fish store and seen some little kids run up to the tanks and start tapping on them shouting "Oh look, there's Nemo!".
The same thing applies really- of course you cannot calculate wether someone is going to be a good fish keeper or not simply by their age, but generally speaking kids will be kids.

Most under 15 year olds or younger people have not even had their first job or bought their first weeks worth of food shopping with their first paycheck etc. Some kids grow up fast and are surprisingly mature for their age, but most simply havn't gotten accustomed to any serious responsability in their early teenage years yet.

Many actually do desperately want a pet, do some research, save up some pocket money and go down to their lfs for their first fish. They may look after it well at first, but sooner or later something happens like the fish gets boring, the hobby gets expensive, one of their friends gets a cooler pet etc- soon they are doing water changes when they want to be out with their mates doing something more interesting.
Many don't even know how challenging some fish can be to keep- not many imagine their goldfish living for 20-30 years for example.
Some enter the hobby with the wrong impression, like they think "oh yeah my mates will be so jeolous i've got some piranahs- they are like the baddest fish ever! Ooo, look at them tear food apart- i'll feed them this rat! Etc". Soon they discover the feeding frenzys aren't half as impressive as what was first thought, and that they have better things to be doing in their time than saving up for a 100gallon tank.
I mean, how many under 16's can even afford a 100gal set up or have parents that are willing to buy them such a tank when they could be moving out of home in the next year or so or going to Uni and leaving the fish in the care of their parents? Double that with the amount of tankbusting fish sold to unsuspecting customers...

I agree with the law on the basis that you cannot know if someone is going to be a good fish keeper without knowing them in person etc- but on the other hand, at least once you are 16 you will have semi decent prospects of making good money and not nesarsarily having other full time responsabilities in their way like education, and at least once you are 16 you are well on your way to being an adult, if only technically etc.

I understand many under 16's would abuse this and by the animals for a cheap laugh, but then again, people like me are perfectly capable of raising and caring for a fish, or indeed any other animal in my opinion.

That argument just doesn't work, mainly because of other laws regarding age. I'm sure there are some 14 year olds that can handle driving, or 16 year olds that would be responsible drinkers, but it's done to protect the majority of people. The law is because they think not all, but the majority of peope under 16 aren't able to fully recognize the responsibility they're undertaking by purchasing a live animal.

I agree with the law. I think that if you're really serious about it and under 16, your parents will go with you and help you out.

I agree, regardless of your age, simple questions if asked by the LFS attendent, can decide if you know about proper aquarium care or not. "What size tank?" "Regular maintainence routine?" and "What other fish do you currently own?" These types of questions speak volumes about the person doing the buying. If answers like "little and cute", "... I have to change the water?" and "5 fancy goldfish, 2 sharks, and Nemo" then who's at fault for making that sale?

People who are purchasing fish with cruel intentions, are going to buy them regardless of any rule or law being passed. Cruelty to animals is not age specific, many warped adults do unimagineable things to animals..not to mention people everyday.

i started keeping fish at 13 yrs old, got tank for christmas

back in those dark days, undergravel filters ruled, cycling what?????????????

test kits ha................... internet, we were still on grandstand games

information was very thin on the ground

but still went to shop on my tod and bought fish and managed to keep them very well (lucky don't know)

also went to one shop with younger brother and bought a cold water setup for him and took home on bus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

only way to stop abuse of fish by under 16's is for ifs to speak to them, if they show some knowledge or gen. interest then that should be fine

Most reactions

Back