Keiths New Tank Journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
You scared that keith will attack them? Or do rays become aggressive? What would you do with the ornatums?

You scared that keith will attack them? Or do rays become aggressive? What would you do with the ornatums?
the tank isnt big enough for 2 adult rays and an oscar but fine at the minute as long as Keith behaves which he has so far.......

my plan with the ornatums changes every day! they are stunning fish but if they get to 10 inches i cant keep all 5 in the same tank so i will maybe try Keith and 2 ornatums and sell the rest. they are only about 5-6 inch max at the minute so they are fine with the current stocking but as they grow they will need more room so ill have to reduce the numbers anyway.

i would sell 3 now if i knew that someone really wanted them and would care for them but i think the cost would put the average fishkeeper off tbh. jeff rapps is currently selling 4-4.5 inch ornatums at $85 each which is about £55 each fish. the bigger they are obviously the more expensive they get too and with them being quite slow growers bumps the price up too. i know that 6 inch ornatums were for sale at oddballs before i got mine but the price was unbelievable at about £150 each i think :crazy: some one was selling a male and female for £200 this time last year and said they paid almost double for them and they were about 6 inches :crazy:

Wowzers! I can see you being stuck with them mate. Well, not really stuck, but you know what I mean.

Wowzers! I can see you being stuck with them mate. Well, not really stuck, but you know what I mean.
i wouldnt dream of asking that much for them mate.... :crazy: but they wouldnt be given away at a silly price, i would rather keep them tbh.

my water parameters according to severn trent.

http://www.stwater.co.uk/server.php?postcode=le9+6wa&show=nav.5635&btnWaterQualitySubmit=

Nice Rays :) not a bad price for them either :) You planning on sticking with them or moving to something like pearls , high quality marbled motoro's etc? you get the ray bug :p i went from £60 retic > £120 marbled motoro > £300 high grade Marbled motoro > £250 Henlei x Matnilla. Sold my ray nice marbled motoro on for a small profit. Only have the henlei x mantilla left now.

I had mine in with big cichlids and they're fine as long as its placid :)

Nice Rays :) not a bad price for them either :) You planning on sticking with them or moving to something like pearls , high quality marbled motoro's etc? you get the ray bug :p i went from £60 retic > £120 marbled motoro > £300 high grade Marbled motoro > £250 Henlei x Matnilla. Sold my ray nice marbled motoro on for a small profit. Only have the henlei x mantilla left now.

i actually was looking for retics but couldnt find any locally... my local maidenhead have a pair of wild caught motoros that breed quite often so couldnt resist when they offered me their last female at the price it was... an F1 motoro pup for less than £75 is a bargain.

im going to stick with these and try and grow them up and as i now have a male and female my fingers are crossed :hey:

if all goes well with just keeping them and i know its doable in my water etc then i may possibly progress to more expensive rays.

did you use RO or tap water for yours?

didnt you have the henlei x mantilla for sale not long ago? im sure i can remember really thinking about giving you a message on it......

i actually was looking for retics but couldnt find any locally... my local maidenhead have a pair of wild caught motoros that breed quite often so couldnt resist when they offered me their last female at the price it was... an F1 motoro pup for less than £75 is a bargain.

im going to stick with these and try and grow them up and as i now have a male and female my fingers are crossed :hey:

if all goes well with just keeping them and i know its doable in my water etc then i may possibly progress to more expensive rays.

did you use RO or tap water for yours?

didnt you have the henlei x mantilla for sale not long ago? im sure i can remember really thinking about giving you a message on it......

It's still for sale, kinda anyways. not fussed if someone buys it as i still want it! just cash strapped :(
Don't bother with RO water, you'll more than likely encounter problems. Get a HMA filter from http://www.devotedly-discus.co.uk/acatalog/DD_HMA_80-C.html i have that one. It basically takes the crap out of the water but leaves what's required. I have mine running 24/7 on my outside tank with an overflow going to a drain.

You'll need to upgrade your tank btw if you're keeping them, mine is 30" wide and my marbled motoro used to look a little cramped. the ray was around 14" disc and then you had a big tail to go with it , more than likelly around 20" total length, normal motoro's get larger so you want at least 3' wide if not a little bigger.

yeah i think that when they start to look too big then an upgrade or swap will be needed.

as these were a decent price i just wanted to try them and see how they and i got on before going crazy on bigger tanks or more expensive species.

i take it that your not on a water meter then if you have a constant water flow system set up........ unfortunately i am on a meter and with the tanks where they are it just wouldnt be possible im affraid :sad:

im currently doing as i always have about 60-70% water changes every week. i know its early days yet but so far so good :good:

sucks to be on a water meter, HMA is definatly the way forward then as RO water wastes a lot of water where as HMA has no waste. Plus it saves on dechlorinating the water which on my tank would cost a bit to do.
If i was on a water meter i'd be nakerd! think i change minimum of 50-60 galons a day

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back