Keeping Both Amphibians And Fish In A Paludarium

GobyMaster

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Smack Dab in the Center of the Good Ol' U.S. of A
I want to set up my new 55 gallon as a paludarium, and I wanted it to have both amphibians (i.e. frogs and salamanders), as well as fish (i.e. goldfish or something), but Straydum had a very good point, that amphibians secrete some type of thing that can effect the fish in a bad way.

But, I've seen both fish and frogs kept in terrariums and ponds before, so can I get a certain answer?

Any help would be appreciated!
GobyMaster

not all amphibs secrete the toxins.

IMO it'd better to get some semi-aquatic amphibs and let them live everywhere in the paludarium. :good:

Some newt or something.

Instead of goldfish you might wanna consider some hardy tetras or something, like blackskirts.
You'll need a heater, but i think (depending on the amount of water) goldfish will foul up the water really quickly which is bad for both fish and frog

If you're going for the goldfish, try to get one of the smaller fancy varieties. You should try to keep them in at least 20 gallons.

Why not think abot some fire bellied toads, they are cool, and live mostly on land, but occasionaly venture into the water. I used to have a few in a 20gallon tank with moist bark and water, with some silk plants that hung off the glass.

They are cool little things too. Mine used to fight over earthworms which is very funny to watch. They are also stunning to look at. :good:

You could try researching upon the type of frog/toad that you might keep, then find out which fish it lives close with and recreate that? :unsure:

Don't fire-bellied toads have poisonous glands(thus the aposematic coloration)?

Looked it up:

Wikipedia said:
It is risky to house any type of these frogs with other species, however, as they secrete toxins from glands behind the head. In some individuals there is a spot of color, such as green or brown, where these glands are located. For this reason, it is extremely important that any water in the habitat is changed every few days as the toxin will build up in the water and can harm the frogs.

I originally wanted to keep fire bellied toads, but then I read that they secrete some poisonous fluids, I decided I probably better not risk it!

I'm leaning toward either Northern Leopard Frog (Rana pipiens), Green Frog (Rana clamitans), or Bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana), so I'd want some larger fish that grow about 4-5" long, so the frogs won't eat them!

If you still would like the fire-bellies then you could probably fit two in a ten gallon.

I know next to noting about those frogs though, so I'm afraid I can't help with the three you listed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back