Juwel Rio 180 Powerhead Help!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

glasgowgirl_786

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone :)

Hoping someone can help me, this is my first post so be easy! Lol I set up my new juwel rio 180 on Thursday. Everything was great it was virtually silent but last night it just just randomly started making a humming noise. It isn't really loud but is irritating in the night when I am trying to sleep (it's in my bedroom). I removed the powerhead checked if there was anything stuck in impeller etc and put it back in but nothing and it's still making the annoying hum!

Just wondering if anyone knows why it might be doing this and how I can fix it? :S Don't understand as it's a new tank & like I said only been set up a couple of days so isn't old/dirty or anything.

Thanks!  :)

Hi glasgowgirl, welcome to the forum
smile.png

Are you sure the 'hum' is coming from the powerhead itself? Sometimes tanks will 'hum' because the powerhead or filter is touching something and causing that to vibrate. Lids and hoods are the most common, so try moving the hood around a little and it might stop.

hi
i've exactly the same tank. mine tends to make a bit of noise but mine is a few years old now. i find the plastic top that sits on top of the filter housing above the power head can rattle a bit also check that the power head nozzle is clear of the opening if it isnt pushed into place properly.another thing to check is your water level , make sure its up to the  max line on the side of tank near power head housing

Thanks for your replies guys, it's definitely the power head the lid isn't rattling or anything at all. I find when I put the powehead in it kind of leans forward and to the left if that makes sense? I've pushed it in straight and it's fitted into the hole it's meant to go in but there's a big gap on the right and it's touching the left and front of the housing but no matter how much I push it back into the middle it seems to be leaning forward/left :s are they all like that? Maybe that's why I'm not sure I tried putting a toothpick to the left so it wasn't touching the housing and it slightly improved but not a lot.
Oh and I don't use the juwel heater I got with it I have a heater outside that black box so power head definitely isn't touching the heater or heaterclip!
Stimo: it could also be the powerhead nozzle hitting the opening bit but I found that quite hard to line up exact in that hole while tryna stick that black head on the other side (sorry I'm not very good on tech terms lol) any tips on how to do that lol

mine is a 2nd hand tank so isn't brilliant but i just push it down into place and it lines up , can't think as to why yours isn't

have you tried just floating power head in water to see if its that or vibration from something else?

Most reactions

trending

Back