Just Two Questions.....

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
This may sound like a job interview, but I'm really curious to know....... 2 Questions...

1. What do you consider to be your best achievement to date in breeding fish??

2. What are your aspirations..... (what would you like to achieve)??

Personally, I've bred 35 different species, but none of the difficult ones.... The only one that stands out, is my (accidental) spawning of Bumble Bee Gobies....

Then, as most of you will be aware of,..... My aspirations is just to get ahold of about 10 or 12 Chocolate Gouramies.... (breeding them will be an added bonus).
 
question 1. i dont actively try to breed fish as such. the only wrigglers ive had is 1 lot of fry from my kribs which are just left to their own devices in my cichlid tank.

as for aspirations well in fishy terms i could go on for ever but the main ones at the moment are to have my sevs grow big and chunky and live a good 10 years. then id like to try my hand at going marine. every time i look at my tank i think " that would make a lovely marine tank" so i d like to see if i could have a nice lush coral reef
 
i have only saved 3 fry from 2 drops from my mollies. not wanting to breed as such just happend to find them still alive in main tank

i would like to get some rely nice looking mollies from them not to many just a couple of nice coloured ones to keep
 
question 1. i dont actively try to breed fish as such. the only wrigglers ive had is 1 lot of fry from my kribs which are just left to their own devices in my cichlid tank.

as for aspirations well in fishy terms i could go on for ever but the main ones at the moment are to have my sevs grow big and chunky and live a good 10 years. then id like to try my hand at going marine. every time i look at my tank i think " that would make a lovely marine tank" so i d like to see if i could have a nice lush coral reef

Actually Mark... I also have this secret desire to go marine, and even with my 40 years fresh water experience,... I do not feel myself qualified to take this step.
 
i've had guppys , platys and limias - live bearers breed
i have recently had WCminnnows , meteor (longfin wc) minnows , java rice rish , harlequin rasboras (just 2 surviving to adulthood) , neon tetras (4 fry survived to adulthood) , dwarf gouramis , peppered corys and bronze corys and this morning found some green eggs in the floating plants in my rekord 60 - which i have found out are khuli loach eggs :)
the harlequins and neons were pretty hard to get the babys to survive - let the harlequins breed in the tank and then removed the eggs to breeding net , with the neons i added them to breeding tank - i use for minnows - then just removed them

I would love in time - when the children have left home to move onto marine (hubby wants to get into sea horse breeding when he retires lol)- cant afford it yet though - kids come first ;) (pssst and i want another baby just dont tell hubby ;) - so be concentrating on my own breeding :D :P )
 
question 1. i dont actively try to breed fish as such. the only wrigglers ive had is 1 lot of fry from my kribs which are just left to their own devices in my cichlid tank.

as for aspirations well in fishy terms i could go on for ever but the main ones at the moment are to have my sevs grow big and chunky and live a good 10 years. then id like to try my hand at going marine. every time i look at my tank i think " that would make a lovely marine tank" so i d like to see if i could have a nice lush coral reef

Actually Mark... I also have this secret desire to go marine, and even with my 40 years fresh water experience,... I do not feel myself qualified to take this step.

:lol: thats what puts me off too ive only been keeping fish for about 9 months !!
 
As is the case with Ludwig, I do not often breed hard fish. I have bred tons of livebearers but they are mostly "just add water" fish. The real requirement turns out to be providing adequate cover and minimizing predators. The rest they take care of. I am most proud of, and have an ambition for, helping with species preservation on some of the rarer fish. To that end, I keep several different goodeids as well as the more common fish.
 
ive bred neon tetras by accident, i have no idea how, fry are in a grow out tank too small for pics :lol: yet
peppered corydoras
bronze corydoras
guppies
endlers
platies
mollies
swordtails
cockatoo cichlids
WCMM

i want to breed mikrogeophagus ramirezi (gold)
 
I've bred a few types of Cichlid and Zebra Plecs, the Zebras being the most challenging.
I aspire to breed the Zebras again as they haven't done so for nearly two years.
I am also waiting for my Leopard Frog Plecs to breed and plan to buy some Flash Plecos next week for the same purpose.
If I can crack all that, I'll be a happy girl!
 
1.

MY SWORDTAILS @@ I'm planning on more batches, though. Cause my only survivor (male) is growing to his 2" !

2. I guess, getting my 55g set up, then make a 29g for my cray, possibly get him a girl. ;) .
Anyone good with cray's, pm me please. :)
 
I personally think that breeding Bristle nose or cories is an achievement.... No takers on those species???..... and then,... some of the "oddballs".... I'm sure those are commendable?
 
ive managed guppy's/platy's/firemouth's/keyhole's/angel's but never past free swimming as dad alway's munched them,bristlenose plecs....

My best accheviment to date as everyone's well aware is my channa ornatipinnis which was by shear luck....hehe i love flukes :hyper:
 
#1 Breeding Rivulus xiphidius for the first time
#2 Aspirations to do justice to This


Actually Mark... I also have this secret desire to go marine, and even with my 40 years fresh water experience,... I do not feel myself qualified to take this step.
If I did it so can you, What cha waitin for :lol:
Regards Lud
BigC
 
1. I've bred - mollies, platies, guppies. As you can see all livebearers :)

2. So want to breed my cories and want to get a pair of BNs and breed them

Lucy :D
 

Most reactions

Back
Top