Just Thought.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Knox213

"A Coup D'tat"
Reaction score
I Have two baby black mollies in a breeding trap

Very stupidly my dad brought them without knowing they need brackish water.

But im wondering now

will the fry not need brackish water since they've been growing up in a fresh water aquarium??

They don't need brackish water at all. The NEED hard water or slightly brackish water to be healthy.
But can survive in pure soft water for awhile.

Do you know how hard your water is?

Mine flourish in hard water. The GH and KH are both at 10+ and the pH is about 7.8 from the tap. I do not add any salt, but sea salt in small amounts can get your mineral content and pH to around where mine is from the tap. I think that is why people often have success with adding some salt for mollies.

Mine flourish in hard water. The GH and KH are both at 10+ and the pH is about 7.8 from the tap. I do not add any salt, but sea salt in small amounts can get your mineral content and pH to around where mine is from the tap. I think that is why people often have success with adding some salt for mollies.
I Dont like black mollies anymore :sad: :no:

That was.... well.... irrelevant. XD

Wait, just a question; how do you find out how hard your water is? >:/ I want to know. Sorry for asking here. But, I thought you guys might know. ^^;

Why don't you like black mollies? Just return 'em to the store, if so! ^^; >8D

That was.... well.... irrelevant. XD

Wait, just a question; how do you find out how hard your water is? >:/ I want to know. Sorry for asking here. But, I thought you guys might know. ^^;

Why don't you like black mollies? Just return 'em to the store, if so! ^^; >8D
I dunno

they have a weak immune system i guess.

and

water test kit / ask your parents how hard it is.

most likely its hard...

most likely its hard...

That's not true at all, it depends purely on where you live, and specifically on the types of rocks the water has to go through before it gets into the water treatment system.
For example all of my water is provided by a resevoir which is practically only filled up by rain water, so my water barely has any hardness reading at all.

A GH / KH test kit, the liquid type, is relatively cheap at the LFS or on line. I got mine on line because my LFS have almost nothing for testing water. You local water supplier should also be able to tell you exactly how hard the water is that they put into the pipes to deliver to your home. Water hardness is one of the typical water qualities that a water company is aware of, and some of them actually try to change it. If the water company manipulates your hardness, you will also want to know the total dissolved solids in the water. It is not really the hardness we care about, it is the mineral content.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back