Just Tested My Tap Water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dan-CR4

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I just tested my tap water as I have not checked it in a few months. It was 10ppm a few months back for nitrate but today my nitrate has gone up to 40ppm straight from the tap. Should I be concerned as im putting 40ppm nitrate into my tank :crazy:

Are you using the same test kit?
i've heard nitrate test kits can be quite unreliable even in good test kits.
Lloyd

You will be fine, just keep checking your tank stats and water change as required.

I did read somewhere that most fish dependant on species will tolerate up to 300ppm. I'll see if I can find the article again.

IMO I would suspect the test kit before I suspected the tap of changing that much. The test kit may of gone bad, or you could of botched the test if you didn't shake the bottles enough. I wouldn't worry about the levels even if they are 40ppm. Its possible they are, I've just never seen tap water change that much that quickly.

It all depends on the water company. If they have just treated the water you will get a spike! Also it is winter now, the stats change through the seasons.

Yes, you can get fert runoff that can up the nitrates and phosphates and it can vary. Its true that some species do fine with 400ppm nitrate and there are reports of river catfish withstanding 1000ppm. There's not much of any real data on most of our species though.

The recommendation we often make here in the beginners section is that 15 to 20ppm *above* whatever your tap water nitrate level is is a good rough max to shoot for. The important thing to learn though is that nitrate is really just a "symbol" that we use to keep a loose watch on how our tank maintenance is going. There are hundreds of organic and inorganic things in the tank that we don't want to concentrate too much but we don't have the time, ability or money to test for them. Nitrate serves as a good "canary in the coal mine" chemical to test for (even though the darn stuff is unfortunately tough to have a nice reliable simple test for!) The symbolic numbers we're watching however are the -tank- ones, not the -tap- ones, so if it goes up in your tap then that's not your fault and isn't saying saying anything bad about your maintenance of course. (The maintenance we're talking about here is both your gravel-clean-water-changing and your filter maintenance.)

So, to be able to judge how you're doing, you would really need some data in your aquarium notebook. Perhaps a once a month set of readings of tap and tank nitrate would be reasonable. That's just my guess on a compromise between the irritation of doing it versus the usefulness of having the data down the road.

I doubt you've got a problem. Possibly your own maintenance hasn't slacked at all!

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back