Just Lost Me Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
I too was made redundant back in september, however I guess I was one of the lucky ones and managed to bag myself another job within 2 weeks doing the same as what I was doing only for better money :)

What makes me laugh is that my other half is an accountant, and Im on maternity leave from part time shop work, so we arent exactly hard up, but because we have two young kids we virtually get our earnings doubled in tax credits! Now dont get me wrong, Im not going to turn down free money but it is quite rediculous. Though saying that, if my other half packed in his job, the CAB advised us that the DSS would pay our mortgage too. Wow, what an incentive to work hey.

What makes me laugh is that my other half is an accountant, and Im on maternity leave from part time shop work, so we arent exactly hard up, but because we have two young kids we virtually get our earnings doubled in tax credits! Now dont get me wrong, Im not going to turn down free money but it is quite rediculous. Though saying that, if my other half packed in his job, the CAB advised us that the DSS would pay our mortgage too. Wow, what an incentive to work hey.
Frightening that they encourage this.
My better half lost his job just before Christmas and is still looking. He went to the Jobcentre to get help finding a job and they are only prepared to help him if he signs on!

OP - Sorry to hear, know how tough it is at the moment but well done on your prize!

Wow!!!... This really paints a gloom picture.....I've been in the same boring routine job now for 37 years & really thought that was bad.... Good luck to all of you'se..... hope you find something soon.....

Sorry to hear it.
I find out next week if I'm one of the 300 people being made redundant, there's only 500 people there at the moment so we're down sizing quite a bit.
I work 12 hour shifts on rota, as I've got a young family I have no problems doing as much overtime as I can. I've just done 4 extra days (today being the fourth, all 12 hours) and start normal shift tomorrow being another 2 days then 2 nights.
Its down to the individual by all means, I don't gave much sympathpy for moaners who won't do the hours but complain money is tight etc. That's not aimed at anyone here, just my thoughts in general :)

:hyper: I take it you would consider someone who was not prepared to work 12 hour shifts, and do over time lazy? though i would hope not lol :hyper:
last time i looked, the official working week, in the UK, was 40 hours, anything over that is, considered, over time. work your employer asks you to do, outside normal working hours. in the past you got paid a premium for doing it. I'm all for over time to improve my standard of living. however is should not be necessary, simply, in order to live. sadly many are in just such a situation. if complaining about this situation is moaning, WE NEED MORE MOANERS.

i suggest anyone having, employment related money problems to look into the benefits you are entitled to. you may well be surprised, as someone has mentioned. doing so does not make you a scrounger ( can you imagine ICI not claiming every penny of tax relief and benefits it can? why should you be any different). these are not hand outs, they are your entitlment in these situations.

@Ludwig, things are very depressed here. i actually think the mood is somewhat worse than the reality, but there seems nowhere to look to see any light. the government before this, systematically, destroyed our manufacturing infrastructure, in a few short years, with no though of what would replace it. unfortunately, this industry is about all that could have dragged us out of this resection. our economy over the last 20 years has revolved around, selling thing to each other, little of which this country actually makes. much of which, didn't actually exist (financial services). quite what we do now in unclear. but the chickens have, well and truly, come home to roost

Seeing as this is not even near being fish related topic closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back