Overgrowth of grass in the path between our

emeraldking16 67

Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Joined
Sep 13, 2016
Messages
6,978
Reaction score
10,866
Points
113
Location
NL
I've been talking to my neighbor is she's willing to get rid of the overgrowth of grass in the path between our backyards. Our side is always kept clean by myself. But everything that's outside her backyard, she refuses to maintain. Same goes for the plants besides her house. She lets all the weed grow and the path between our both places is hard to go through. Even other people who pass our path complain about it. The seeds of those weeds and grass is blown by the wind to our backyard. And I just keep on getting rid of those grass and weeds. But she just doesn't care. I've seen rats and mice coming out of those grass. For it's complete shelter for those critters. She loves a bushy environment. But doesn't care about the problems it can cause.
In this photo the grass hasn't reached the full size yet as it is today. The grass has already spread more than halfway across the path by now. She doesn't want me to get rid of it. But this afternoon I've called a gardener and let my neighbor pay for it.
backyards path.webp
 
Oh, I hear you on the neighbor conflicts. Here we share fences & it's customary to each pay half for repairs. But our back fence neighbor won't do that. He wouldn't even allow an abutting neighbor's contractors access to his yard although they were paying. He went so far as to actively try & sabotage construction. For some reason he's especially hostile to those very nice sisters. We haven't had those run ins with him 🤞, yet? He even gave us apricots this year.
 
So the path is owned by you and your neighbor, not by the city/town? (Here in the States it'd be city property, maintained by the city)
You say she refuses to maintain, but is she against you taking care of it? If not there's some very effective vegetation killers on the market that will make it a once-a-year chore, albeit at your expense and time. Which obviously isn't fair but better than starting a war.

Dealing with neighbors can be tough. If you want to keep the peace.

The neighbor behind me had a dog that barked continually from the moment he was let outside in the morning until he was let back in at night. Like your neighbor, he didn't care that it was driving everyone crazy and got mad when I confronted him with it. He insisted the dog be out to prevent squirrels from getting into his yard and damaging things.
I shoot them for that very reason. So I informed him until he kept the dog in he'd be getting all my dead squirrels, and live ones too, from a catapult I built that launched them directly onto his solar panels.
After 3 months he moved.
 
Neighbour disputes... mine had metre/yard high grass/brush interspersed with wrecked household metal rusting away, and a car joining it all. I'm not that bad, but I'm not a lawn trimming type, as one look at my tanks will tell you. I have to decide what to with about an acre of land at the back of the lot here. The previous owner flattened it and made it into a grassland, but I'm considering rewilding it in a controlled fashion, and letting trees take over with just paths maintained through it. It seems a waste of fuel and time to keep it in such an unnatural state. I don't use it, and the birds and bees might.

If I were your neighbour, I'd trim that out of politeness to you, but if you didn't care, I wouldn't. No one should ever put me in charge of caring for a golf course...
 
@emeraldking - Have you thought of just killing it off. If its a true grass, then it should only kill the roots, and if she has a bit of brown along her fence line for a while, it should not bother her.
 
So the path is owned by you and your neighbor, not by the city/town? (Here in the States it'd be city property, maintained by the city)
It's owned by the city, however, residents are expected to maintain any intermediate path of a certain width. If that is not done and someone has an accident as a result, we are liable.
You say she refuses to maintain, but is she against you taking care of it
First: She's lazy and loves wild growing vegetation. Second: She Dutch herself but married a Turkish man. As long as you're not Turkish yourself, you're just not her friend.
The neighbor behind me had a dog that barked continually from the moment he was let outside in the morning until he was let back in at night
Our other neighbor to our left isn't any different. She had two dogs. She stayed away during the night on a regular base. Those dogs would bark quite often during those nightly hours. We weren't the only neighbors who complained about the loud barking while they were trying to get some sleep. As trying to be good neighbors, we've offered to let those dogs stay at our place when she's gone but she rejected our offer. Now both dogs are gone.
If I were your neighbour, I'd trim that out of politeness to you, but if you didn't care, I wouldn't.
Well, more neighbor's have complained about it as well. But she's sadly not that social.
There’s lots of things you can launch that may cure an uncooperative neighbor of their slothful habits 😉
True...
@emeraldking - Have you thought of just killing it off. If its a true grass, then it should only kill the roots, and if she has a bit of brown along her fence line for a while, it should not bother her.
I actually did. But she sometimes is watching from her balcony if someone is around her property. Our old neighbors were very social and polite. The problem is that we just can't choose who's to live next to us... And it's not that they own their own premises, but quite often it seems as they own the total street.
 
It's owned by the city, however, residents are expected to maintain any intermediate path of a certain width. If that is not done and someone has an accident as a result, we are liable.

First: She's lazy and loves wild growing vegetation. Second: She Dutch herself but married a Turkish man. As long as you're not Turkish yourself, you're just not her friend.

Our other neighbor to our left isn't any different. She had two dogs. She stayed away during the night on a regular base. Those dogs would bark quite often during those nightly hours. We weren't the only neighbors who complained about the loud barking while they were trying to get some sleep. As trying to be good neighbors, we've offered to let those dogs stay at our place when she's gone but she rejected our offer. Now both dogs are gone.

Well, more neighbor's have complained about it as well. But she's sadly not that social.

True...

I actually did. But she sometimes is watching from her balcony if someone is around her property. Our old neighbors were very social and polite. The problem is that we just can't choose who's to live next to us... And it's not that they own their own premises, but quite often it seems as they own the total street.
In that case then, go out really late at night and do it!! 🤣
 
It’s been months since I saw grass that was green!

In all seriousness though, with your health situation the last thing that you need is someone else’s work… I hope they pay the gardener.
Don't get me wrong for I am a true nature lover and I love a green environment at our place. It is simply a rule here that a narrow path between two houses must be kept free of obstacles. If grass or other plants become overgrown and someone falls while walking through the passageway—whether due to slipperiness or because the path is difficult to traverse—we are held liable under the rules. In such cases, it is not a matter of disliking greenery, but of neglect.
 
If she can't see the sense in protecting herself from liability then unfortunately it's going to be up to you, or your gardener. I don't know if you can get this where you're at but there's a veg killer called Noxall that will eliminate everything and keep anything from growing for at least a year. Roughly $30 per treatment, beats the hundreds of thousands you might be faced with should someone injure themselves.

Or get a goat.

Either way you'll never be Turkish so let her fume.
 
If she can't see the sense in protecting herself from liability then unfortunately it's going to be up to you, or your gardener. I don't know if you can get this where you're at but there's a veg killer called Noxall that will eliminate everything and keep anything from growing for at least a year. Roughly $30 per treatment, beats the hundreds of thousands you might be faced with should someone injure themselves.

Or get a goat.

Either way you'll never be Turkish so let her fume.
I had a small weed patch out my back door but I’ve been pouring the salt water from my brine shrimp hatchery on it . It’s bare dirt now after a couple months .
 

Most reactions

Back
Top