Just got back from the fishy store!!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SarahBeth

Reaction score
Went to a cool mom and pop fish store. It was in a house turned into commercial property. So one room was all freshwater fish. Another salt water. And one for all the supplies, decor and food. They were super nice and very helpful. We got 3 angelfish, two gourami's, and a black knife ghost. Just added them to the tank. Pictures to come when I switch from laptop to phone.

20210213_152543.jpg

So cool! When I get 100+, they are at the top of my fish list. I was looking at Ghost Knife fish the other day at my lfa, but was worried about him being picked on. And my 90 might get cramped for him, since I heard they get huge. Super graceful fish!

I love BGK fish. I really wanted one a while ago, but I learned that I didn’t have a big enough tank. :/

It’s great you have a neat little, well cared for LFS. Most people around here say their LFS’s are terrible.

Two of my angelfish died. I immediately tested the water and all the ranges are good. They have no injuries. All fins are fully intact. I don't have a clue why they died. Feeding them Tetra Plus Flakes and bloodworms.

If they are dried blood worms, make sure you soak them first, or they can expand in the fish's belly. Lost a betta early like that.
I have had some fish die from stress after purchase (they had just arrived to the fish store in the mail, so double stressed).

If they are dried blood worms, make sure you soak them first, or they can expand in the fish's belly. Lost a betta early like that.
I have had some fish die from stress after purchase (they had just arrived to the fish store in the mail, so double stressed).
The bloodworms are frozen.

What size tank is this?
How long has it been set up? Cycled?
What kind of test kit do you use, and what are the readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?

60 gallons, ran for a week then treated and all parameters were good. Used a strip test. Doesn't test for ammonia but 6 little fish in 60 gallons isn't gonna build up enough ammonia to kill fish in just a couple of days. Lost the last little angelfish this morning.

The tank isn't cycled. Running a tank for week won't cycle it.

The paper test strips are practically worthless, get the API master liquid test kit for testing.

Your fish are most likely dying from ammonia poisoning, sorry to say.

You will be doing a fish-in cycle with the remaining fish, read about it in the cycling section of the forum.

Get some Seachem Prime for your water conditioner.

I used the starter kit and got all normal parameters. Thus safe for fish. Also ammonia comes from organics breaking down. There was nothing organic in the tank till the fish went in. No way ammonia can build up from that few fish in that big tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back