Just Added First Fish

Geoff1991

AKA "Sparky"
Reaction score
Right then,

I added my first fish today (2 mollies) after spending some time cycling the tank and all that, and I've heard that now i should do regular partial water changes of about 10% every 2 days for the next week or two to control the ammonia and nitrite levels.

Is this what i should be doing?

Thanks

Geoff

Edit: Forgot the water test and other info

The tanks still cycling, which is why I've added two fish as oppose to fully stocking the tank

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0.50
Nitrate 10
pH 7.6

I'm not sure you've cycled your tank, two weeks is nowhere near long enough.

How did you CYCLE your tank?

Mark.

I think its still cycling... I use this nutrafin cycle stuff and left it a week. I've been testing the water myself and got the guy to test it as well today and he said i was ready for my first two fish

Okay it sounds as if your going through a fish in cycle, not a good thing but we can get you through it.

What are your tank dimensions and volume?

Mark.

OK theres two ways around this.

The first is to take your fish back and do a fish less cycle, which would be best.

The second is to do a fish in cycle, which is not ideal and not your fault, i got caught in a fish in cycle as well.

You need to get a good LIQUID test kit, my advice is the API freshwater master test kit.

you could be up for three 50% water changes a day, do a water test now, if your ammonia is above .25 do a 50% water change, then check it again in an hour, if your ammonia is still high do another water change.

This will carry on for about 5 - 6 weeks, it's hard work BUT well worth it.

When your Ammonia and nitrITES are as close to zero as you can get them then your tank has cycled, by this i mean getiing zero readings for at least 7 days.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

Thanks. I have the API master test kit already and my ammonia reading is 0.25

Edit: Also, when i do a water change whats the easiest way of getting the new water a similar temperature?

Do a 30% water change now, wait 15 minutes and take another reading and get back to me.

I add boiled water to my tap water with a thermometer in the bucket, with dechlorinater of course.

Mark.

No worries,

Leave it for now, when you get back from work do a 50% water change, then post your results, i'm normally here till about 2ish.

Mark.

Continue with your water change, go to work and take your readings when you get home.

One more question, do you use a gravel vac?

Mark.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back