Just a few questions

cichlid_freak

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I will be getting a new tank. It will be my "show" planted aquarium. I want to breed some dwarf cichlid or Apisto.

Here's my idea. "I like red!"

I have a lot of red based plants (ozelot, red lillies, etc.) I want to continue the theme with the fish. I was thinking of going with Apistogramma cauckatoites sp. Triple Red, or Apistogramma agazzies. I was also conssidering a beautiful harem of German Blue Rams with a defininate red color morf, if I could find them. I only want one species, but can't decide.

I was wondering what the breeding habbits of these fish are.
Do I need a breeding "hut" for them? i.e. flower pot
Do they dig?
How many pairs/harems can I have in a 34gal tank?
What is the proper mix? i.e. 2f/1m
Would Cardinal tetras or Neons mess with the breeding process?
What do I need to do to induce or condition to breed?
What is the mature age?
Do I need to get 7-8 and let them pick partners?
Do I need a special fry tank, or do they do fine with parents?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I want to do this right!

I know I asked a lot of questions, but I would like to know something?

Anyone ever kept these species?
Has anyone seen the "red" German Blue Ram?

Sorry mate the only thing i know about rams is that the ones ive kept in the past have always died for no reason after a few weeks in the tank :-(

Hi CF.

I only have limited experience with Rams, we have 1 Bolivian Ram (the 2nd one died :-( ) and 2 baby Gold Veil Rams, but try Cichlid Forum there is some good infor and pics there

Don.

A brief bit of info from a couple o' books...

To show their best, keep in species tank (sounds like what you've got in mind).
Soft water needed to spawn these two (>10dH), just during spawning, I think. In 20-40gal, multiple pairs may co-exist peacefully.2males/3-4females in a 'fairly large' aqarium(?).Yes, everyone, incl. females, need caves. One bk notes caucatoides males are very aggressive toward one another.
Tank sh. be well planted. Tetras appropriate as dither fish.
Don't sift, but pick worms 'n' such from the gravel. Sh. be fed live/frz foods.

I know it's not much...

Think Mac's bred agassizii before...maybe he'll be along to add some real info. :) ...and fix anything I might've got wrong. :rolleyes:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back