Just A Few Axalotl Questions.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hedgehog738

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
so im getting a axolotl soon, i have done research but there are some questions i cant find. i have a tank set up but there is a khuli loash in there but when i try and catch it it gets in the filter so i cant get it out. wil they be alright together? Also i am planning on feeding it on bloodworm but sometimes brine shrimp. how often should i feed justone on its own. Also would it better getting two or just one on its own. if you have any tips feel free to comment and tell me. thank you george.
p.s should i have the light on if so how long?

how large is the tank? - - - this is very important

it will eat the kuhli

the size of the tank will let you know how many you can keep.

daily feedings as juveniles

just have a normal day/night schedule with a light that isn't overly bright I believe

how large is the tank? - - - this is very important

it will eat the kuhli

the size of the tank will let you know how many you can keep.

daily feedings as juveniles

just have a normal day/night schedule with a light that isn't overly bright I believe

hi the tank is a 60L but i will upgrade it when he/they get bigger. and i suppose it will have fun chasing the khuli loach.

ohh and is there any other thing it will happily live with? i know thee isnt many if any.

Well, even in captivity they get big - I've seen several reach 15" (10" is more typical, but still) in captivity - so plan for this in terms of tank space. And they will eat anything that they can catch that will fit into their mouths - the loach will get chomped, and pretty quickly. Also, make sure that your animals are the smae size if you get more than one - they are not above canabalism.

They are not particularly social animals, nor are they particularly anti social. You can keep one on its own happily, you can keep 3, 4 or however many you want together happily (tank space allowing) - they might have a go at each other a bit at feeding time, but not enough to cause any damage, and apart from this they will pretty much ignore each other for pretty much of the time.

Be careful not to over feed them, small feedings daily for juveniles, and then once they've got above 5" you can feed them less frequently.

They require fairly cold water - My dad kept a group way back when (before too much was known about them) and accidentally induced mass spawning when the central heating broke down over night in winter. The descendents of the resulting offspring are, I believe, still living in London zoo...

Well, even in captivity they get big - I've seen several reach 15" (10" is more typical, but still) in captivity - so plan for this in terms of tank space. And they will eat anything that they can catch that will fit into their mouths - the loach will get chomped, and pretty quickly. Also, make sure that your animals are the smae size if you get more than one - they are not above canabalism.

They are not particularly social animals, nor are they particularly anti social. You can keep one on its own happily, you can keep 3, 4 or however many you want together happily (tank space allowing) - they might have a go at each other a bit at feeding time, but not enough to cause any damage, and apart from this they will pretty much ignore each other for pretty much of the time.

Be careful not to over feed them, small feedings daily for juveniles, and then once they've got above 5" you can feed them less frequently.

They require fairly cold water - My dad kept a group way back when (before too much was known about them) and accidentally induced mass spawning when the central heating broke down over night in winter. The descendents of the resulting offspring are, I believe, still living in London zoo...

london zoo, cool. i got these at a place called QSS, he said i need a heater for them and a warm room. he obviously knows nothing about them.

As in QSS in Bradford by any chance? I was in there last Wednesday, and they had some gorgeous axolotls. Though, IMO the whole condition of that place has gone down hill a bit since I was there last.

As in QSS in Bradford by any chance? I was in there last Wednesday, and they had some gorgeous axolotls. Though, IMO the whole condition of that place has gone down hill a bit since I was there last.

yes the one in bradford they had a breeding pair and about 5 young ones. my friend (forestpisces - i think that how its spelt) got the breeding pair and i got 2 of the young ones :) which ones did you see?

Axolotls ideally need temperatures not exceeding 24c. Mine are currently sitting at the higher end but I chuck ice in when the temps get too high as it can stress them. There's no baseline temperature (as long as the water is above freezing) as these guys originally come from a lake fed by a glacier so they like chilly temperatures.

It would be a good idea to feed live worms (from bait shops etc) alongside frozen food as frozen food doesn't have amazing nutritional value. And enjoy your axies :D
My lot recently bred and I'm raising babies right now - much fun!!

I saw a pair of quite large axolotl and also a smaller pair (although these ones were still big). Never seen them before in a LFS- if I had the space for a huge tank then they'd be something I'd definitely look into to.

im having trouble keeping the temperature below 25. i have turned off the lights lifted up the lid opend the doors and windows. the guys at the shop told me to get a heater or a warm room for them so they might be used to it. :S

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back