Jumping spider having a snack by our front door!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Several years ago I went in the local pharmacy to find things not operating as usual. There was a large spider sitting on a shelf and the female pharmacist, female shop assistants and a couple of female customers were in a panic. I am female as well, but spiders (British spiders at least) don't phase me. I asked for a container of some sort and a piece of card, which were quickly supplied. Cup over the spider, and slide the card underneath taking care not to trap any legs, then outside into the car park, remove the card and shake the spider free. Then business went back to usual.

Several years ago I went in the local pharmacy to find things not operating as usual. There was a large spider sitting on a shelf and the female pharmacist, female shop assistants and a couple of female customers were in a panic. I am female as well, but spiders (British spiders at least) don't phase me. I asked for a container of some sort and a piece of card, which were quickly supplied. Cup over the spider, and slide the card underneath taking care not to trap any legs, then outside into the car park, remove the card and shake the spider free. Then business went back to usual.
How big was the thing? 😅

It was fairly big for a British spider, one of those with a body about half an inch long with a leg span of a couple of inches.
Lol.
*you walk into store*
*Employees and customers all huddled together in corner*

You: "Oh no... There's a hold up happening"
Them: "No, there's a spider"
You: "Are you kidding me right now?"
🤣

No worse than the commotion at a library a few years ago with people screaming everywhere. I got up to tell them to shut up and was polite enough to ask what the commotion was about before that. They pointed to a cockroach on a book so I knocked it on the floor and stepped on it. Then used a tissue to pick it up and drop it in the bin. It's a bug, kill it and move on.

It's weird - I physically shuddered while reading @WhistlingBadger 's story and feel itchy all over... somewhat paranoid, checking the walls and picture rails (it's house spider mating season!!). Yet I'm also loving reading about everyone else's spider encounters! It's fascinating, and relatable, lol

It's weird - I physically shuddered while reading @WhistlingBadger 's story and feel itchy all over... somewhat paranoid, checking the walls and picture rails (it's house spider mating season!!). Yet I'm also loving reading about everyone else's spider encounters! It's fascinating, and relatable, lol
I bet you'll think twice next time you put on a jumper, especially one that's been hanging outside to dry.

Come to Australia during summer and find white tail spiders in your bed. They have a species of Mycobacteria (same genus as leprosy and TB) on their fangs and it causes the skin and muscle tissue to rot away over months. You need antibiotics to treat it if you get bitten otherwise you dissolve.

I thought I'd heard of all the potentially deadly Australian creatures, but that one is new to me, and I deeply regret watching some short video clips... they're horrifying. How common is it to see one?

I thought I'd heard of all the potentially deadly Australian creatures, but that one is new to me, and I deeply regret watching some short video clips... they're horrifying. How common is it to see one?
Girl, by now you should know even koalas are deadly! Why? Cause their in Australia! 🤣
I'm sure even my peacock gudgeons have some weird deadly trick they can do :rofl:

Come to Australia during summer and find white tail spiders in your bed. They have a species of Mycobacteria (same genus as leprosy and TB) on their fangs and it causes the skin and muscle tissue to rot away over months. You need antibiotics to treat it if you get bitten otherwise you dissolve.
Hobo spiders here are similar. My grandpa was bitten 18 years ago and his legs are still not right. Have to have ointment and be wrapped and they deep liquid and he almost died

They’re one of the most common ones there. Invasive in New Zealand as well, came on a cargo ship. Found one under the wood pile

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back