Jumping spider having a snack by our front door!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I kept a respectful distance while taking this photo... I was less than a foot away (my hands anyway, my body was as far as possible 🤣)
I don't have a fear of spiders really. I used to catch them. But I don't like jumping spiders when it looks like they could jump on your face 😅
20220901_193636.jpg

What an awesome shot! I have a phobia of spiders, but like them at the same time. I hate that I have that instinctive panic reaction when one is close to me - and I loathe house spiders for their habits of appearing out of nowhere and being creepy, but I also hate that I'm afraid of them, and do everything I can to overcome it. Like learning about them, or holding tarantulas when I get the chance. Face the fear! They're fascinating and useful creatures once you get past the creepy factor, lol.
But jumping spiders are definitely cute! So long as they're not jumping at my face, they're cute. :)

I love jumping spiders. So cute! They seem to post up in a favorite spot for weeks at a time, so whenever I notice one, it feels like a temporary pet. I read that they have excellent hearing, which some part of my brain interpreted to mean they understand language. I KNOW that doesn't add up, but I still FEEL like it does, lol, so I tend to talk to them a lot. (They don't answer, but I don't mind.)

What an awesome shot! I have a phobia of spiders, but like them at the same time. I hate that I have that instinctive panic reaction when one is close to me - and I loathe house spiders for their habits of appearing out of nowhere and being creepy, but I also hate that I'm afraid of them, and do everything I can to overcome it. Like learning about them, or holding tarantulas when I get the chance. Face the fear! They're fascinating and useful creatures once you get past the creepy factor, lol.
But jumping spiders are definitely cute! So long as they're not jumping at my face, they're cute. :)
Yah I don't know if I have a phobia per say... But I do have a slight creep factor from them.
I went to a reptile/exotics convention type of thing and this guy had a HUGE tarantula. Bigger than his hand but he was holding it so comfortably. He asked if we wanted to pet and surprisingly my mom did. And then my mom wanted me to as well so I did. I was so freaked out (I had to be about 7 at the time). But then I pet it and I realized how docile they were. The thing just sat there on his arm maybe slightly moving a leg but nothing much else...
I would also catch wolf spiders in WA and in KY. They were huge and my mom would just say: "Keep them far away from the house and we'll be cool" :rofl:
In KY I actually caught one in a little creature holder and had him as my first exotic OUTDOOR pet. He had sand as a substrate (home made sand that was fine grain. I crushed up rocks into powder basically). Then I gave him half a coconut as a hide. He loved the coconut shell, I remember that and I fed him crickets along with other things I found...
But I was soooo upset one day when I walked out to check on him...
I walked over to see that he wasn't out of his cave so I gave him a few. Still wasn't out... Got worried. I saw his little footprints in the sand and lifted the coconut shell... I saw only his legs with ants going in and out. I was first of all crushed and second of all mad at the ants so here was a great masacre of ants that day. There were two things I suspected. One, my spider died and was eaten by the ants or two, those demon ants over powered the poor spider and ate him alive!
I still hate ants... My whole hand got covered by black ants once in KY. You can't feel it when one bites... Oh but you can feel a bajillion of them biting at once trust me! 😂

Over all I like most spiders but I keep a respectful distance from jumpers and tarantulas 😅

Yikes... Scary... But I dont think that's a spider. Just part of the arachnid family... That thing looks to be a whip scorpion especially the way it tries to "snatch" his hand. Their very creepy things indeed. But fascinating!
yeah it was titled "whip spider " lol

I have a friend who has a tarantula room, like I have a fishroom. I sort of question our friendship sometimes.

I had a really bad spider phobia but I forced myself to go up to tarantulas, to desensitize myself. It worked, and run of the mill spiders don't bother me much anymore. I'm very tall, and very bald. When I go for early morning walks through the seaside pine forest trails around here, I break webs like they're going out of style. Once upon a time, that web on the head sensation would have freaked me out.

I still have an irrational reaction to any wolf spider.. They are the only ones that still creep me out. There was a lovely campground I used to go to with an outhouse that had 2 of them on the ceiling. Yeah...

Jumping spiders are fine as long as you keep them out your nostrils...

I love jumping spiders. So cute! They seem to post up in a favorite spot for weeks at a time, so whenever I notice one, it feels like a temporary pet. I read that they have excellent hearing, which some part of my brain interpreted to mean they understand language. I KNOW that doesn't add up, but I still FEEL like it does, lol, so I tend to talk to them a lot. (They don't answer, but I don't mind.)
I talk to different creatures to... Like frogs and lizards. Maybe a spider here and there.

This type of spider is EVEYWHERE near us. I call them orb weavers (even though I don't think they really are a type of orb weaver).
This guy's is just a small one though 😳
20220902_095300.jpg

If a spider sets up home somewhere out of the way in the house, I'll name it and try to leave it be, sometimes throw a bug in the web! Had a nice orb weaver in the top of the kitchen window for a few months, and I was genuinely sad when I found her dead :(

The house spiders we get here have their breeding season around August - September, and I'm always aware of that and a bit wary! Spray peppermint around doorways and windowsills to try to keep them out, but most years, one will surprise and freak me out, and I have to either give it the shoe, or trap it and get my fella to remove it! In the breeding season the males travel around the house at night, looking for females, and that's why they're often found trapped in the bathtub, or when they come running out from under furniture at you.

I vividly remember one year I was lying in bed at 1-2am, reading a book while lying on my side, and one fell from the picture frame above me and landed on my book, right in front of my face. I leaped up screaming, not really grasping what happened, but I knew it was a big spider right in front of my face, and I saw it vanish over my pillow and go down the back of my bed. :eek:
Grumpy confused boyfriend at the time, woken by my screaming, and doesn't like spiders much himself, tried to tell me to leave it, but no way could I go to sleep there, knowing the spider could climb back up at any minute! So he had to pull the bed out and find and release it before I'd agree to go back in the room, lol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back