Jmac's New Fishless Cycle Log

Thanks, I wasnt aware of that, I kind of thought once it was done, it was done so to speak. I might actually take the opporunity with the new tank to try bactinettes and see for us all if they actually do make a difference.

Im carrying on with my sampling even though the fish are in just to make sure that they're settling in to the environment and that its supporting them correctly. Its more for my own benefit than anything in that I can see how things have changed, I dont expect people to follow it from here on in.

Must admit, Im a little concerned about my nitrate reading. Bearing in mind it was nearly a full water change this morning and its already reading 110. The deepest shade of purple you can get. I know that its ammonia and nitrite that are the main concerns but still, it does strike me as worrying.

You did a full waterchange and your nitrate is still 110? Whats your tap nitrate?

It is a bit high, I like mine to be less than 20! Although generally it can be more, find whats best for your fish you keep.

Tap nitrate is between 20-50 depending on the light conditions affecting the reading, sometimes its difficult to be certain.

Most places I read recommend less than 20 for goldfish but I can't even achieve that with tap water. I've ordered some java fern which should help but they won't arrive for a while yet.

Couple of years back most of us figured out that all the reports of success with Bactinettes were coming from one or two shops (at most) in the UK where a couple of the guys having success figured out that it was the same driver with a refridgerated truck and the the things were getting delivered from the source to the shop(s) where there happened to be good shop owners who were refridgerating them right away and marking the times and all.

~~waterdrop~~

Don't know the answer to that one, I guess you'd just have to try the black moors and see what happened. You might try getting through to the lab people at your water authority - I've been able to talk to mine and find they rather like the attention and are willing to explain things to me and give me numbers. On the face of it it sounds high for tap water.

~~waterdrop~~

They seem ok and show no signs of nitrate poisoning but might contact the water authority as well. I suppose one option is to use filtered water through a breval and see if thats any better or even use bottled water (which would make weekly water changes rather expensive). Though having said that, I've read that going from a high nitrate environment to low can be shocking to a fish and its best to gradually lower the nitrate over an extended period of time.

Just did a small water change (20%) and it helped drop the nitrate. I might do a small change (20%) every 3 days or so until I move the fish into the larger thank as this seems to help.

Im going to go back to 24 hour testing now as the ammonia and nitrite seem stable. I do have a concern over one of my fish though. Its being very lethargic and just swimming in the middle of the tank with fins a little clamped to the body, where as the other one is like a yorkshire terrior on speed! Im thinking (hoping) it might be a little bit of constipation so Im fasting the fish today and starting them on fresh veg from tomorrow (petit pois and broccoli to start).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back